Axle change?

-

68 wanna b GSS

68 Dart 440
Reaction score
I looking at a 64 fury rear axle and I'm wondering the axle shafts have a nut at the end that holds on the wheel hub but still have the normal 5 bolts at the bearings can I change out the old axle shafts for solid new ones like mosier axles this is a 8 3/4;axle I'm referring to and basically want to know if the axles were the same length could they be swapped out I have a completely different center section with a sure grip/ gears and my spline count is this possible?

I believe the housing is different between the '64 axle nut and the '65 flange type axle shafts. "64 used shims to adjust the end play, whereas '65 and up used the adjuster type retainers. Maybe Moser or someone else makes an axle shaft that will bolt in and work? A simple call to them will answer that question. Maybe with green bearings? Otherwise, you'd need to cut off the ends of the housing and weld on the later ends.

Sounds like a tapered axle. Post a picture. If you don't care about originally, replace it with a later axle. You'll be glad you did. If i remember, the spline count is the same and you can use the center section. Craig

Last edited:
-
Back