axle housing ends - Damaged

-

tcp710

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am putting together my rear axle after changing the axle shaft bearings and seals. I am about to install the axles and inner seals but noticed some very minor damage on the bearing seating area of the passenger side axle housing end.
Can I take a hone and just smooth out the ridges and put it back together?

Thanks

The damage is no deeper than 0.005"

If it's just minor burrs I don't know why you couldn't. Take some emery cloth and see if that will clean it up first. Just as long as you can smooth it so it doesn't eat up the bearings, you should be good.

Thanks!. I will go to town with some emery first and see how that goes. I am sure it will clean it up nice!!

You'll be ok. Mine was like that when I rebuilt it 5 yrs. ago and I cleaned it up with emery cloth and had no problems with it.

Thought I would feed off of this thread as it was exactly what i was looking for when I did the search. I too removed my axle shaft to swap to new 4.5 axles from the 4.0 bolt pattern. When i pulled out the axles from my current 3.23 gear,8.75 diff,489 case, the ends of the axles are a little rough. By a little rough, I mean the spline on the axle ends look like there was something in the splines or they didnt match up the best and wore the ridges of the splines a bit. Tough to explain, i know. When i feel into the cone style limited slip with my hand, the first spline feels rough but the inner spline feels like it should. I have new $500 buck axles coming and I am a little aprehensive about about putting brand new axles into the centre section splines.
Has anybody run into this before. Do i have an issue with the two splines in the centre section being off just a bit, causing the axles splines to bind a bit.
Appreciate any feedback anyone might have. Thanks.

Well, the inner ends of the axles ARE within a few feet of the outer ends of the axle housings. How could I not see how the seemingly different descriptions of the damaged areas were actually "exactly" the same? And yes I am occasionally a bit of a correctness freak. I usually catch myself and just let it slide. This time I didn't. I hope you get the inner end of your axle shaft and the original poster gets the outer end of his axle housing fixed satisfactorily.

ATB

BC

Thought I would feed off of this thread as it was exactly what i was looking for when I did the search. I too removed my axle shaft to swap to new 4.5 axles from the 4.0 bolt pattern. When i pulled out the axles from my current 3.23 gear,8.75 diff,489 case, the ends of the axles are a little rough. By a little rough, I mean the spline on the axle ends look like there was something in the splines or they didnt match up the best and wore the ridges of the splines a bit. Tough to explain, i know. When i feel into the cone style limited slip with my hand, the first spline feels rough but the inner spline feels like it should. I have new $500 buck axles coming and I am a little aprehensive about about putting brand new axles into the centre section splines.
Has anybody run into this before. Do i have an issue with the two splines in the centre section being off just a bit, causing the axles splines to bind a bit.
Appreciate any feedback anyone might have. Thanks.

sounds like someone in the past possibly used axles that were too short or had buggered up splines and buggered up the splines in the SG side gears but without a picture of it that's just my best guess. The splines are so precise that it their not aligned nearly perfect the axles won't go in. When you do get them aligned and installed they are then aligned as there is virtually no clearance there and they won't bind up.

JFYI: Even if the topic is basically the same it's not a good idea to ask a question about your car in someone else's thread. In the internet world it's considered "thread hi-jacking" to do that. Some guys don't mind but some will get bent out of shape. For that reason it's always best to start a new thread of your own. Another reason to start your own thread is rarely are the problems identical so if you have 2 guys asking silmilar but different questions it can get confusing when other guys try to answer. Hope that's clearer than mud, LOL

-
Back