Axle leak

-

zigs

Reaction score
I recently had the rear end gone through on my 68 Dart. Its an 8 3/4 489. I up graded to 373 gears and BBP Yukon axles, master rebuild kit everything was redone. With no miles on the axles setting on jack stands ,I noticed that the driver side axle was leaking. I pulled the axle and everything looked good with the bearing . Put the axle back in but noticed that the axle at the bearing has about an 1/8" play. what would cause such a distortion. Doesn't seem to be scraped or scored as if the bearing spun. Is there a solution to this or do i have to find a good housing. We even thought that there may have been two bearing sizes as the pass side doesn't leak. Randy's ring and pinion says that there is only one size bearing for the Yukons. Sorry for the length of this, wanted to get as accuate as possible.

Maybe the PO had been driving the car with a bad bearing for quite some time?Maybe the housing end is oblonged(out of round)?Only fix is to cut the end off and get a new end from Moser or Strange.Good luck.

Could be many things depending on more info. Are you using stock type tapered bearings or the "green" bearings? If the 1/8" play is "in and out", the end play adjustment needs to be set correctly or you may be missing the thrust button(s). If it's the green bearing type, the bearing is bad. If the 1/8" play is "up and down", you have a worn out housing end like pettybludart mentioned.

The play is up and bown bearing is brand new. Starting to think the same thing as you guys. I thinking a new axle end. I also read something about a speedi - sleeve , has anyone heard of this. I called their tech today he's supposed to get back with me.

A speedy sleeve is just a thin metal sleeve that you slide over an old axle where the seal rides because there was a groove in the axle. Since you have new axles there is no reason at all you should need a speedy sleeve because it shouldn't be grooved. Why don't you try swapping axles from side to side and see what happens. If the slop remains on the same side it's a problem with the axle housing end. If the problem goes to the other side it's a defective bearing. With most everything being made in China nowadays it wouldn't surprise me if the bearing is defective.

BTW: do you have the inner housing seals installed? Some guys claim green bearings (which Yukon axles require) will seal without the factory inner seal but I've known a few cases where they didn't. Installing the inner seal stopped the leak.

A speedy sleeve is just a thin metal sleeve that you slide over an old axle where the seal rides because there was a groove in the axle. Since you have new axles there is no reason at all you should need a speedy sleeve because it shouldn't be grooved. Why don't you try swapping axles from side to side and see what happens. If the slop remains on the same side it's a problem with the axle housing end. If the problem goes to the other side it's a defective bearing. With most everything being made in China nowadays it wouldn't surprise me if the bearing is defective.

BTW: do you have the inner housing seals installed? Some guys claim green bearings (which Yukon axles require) will seal without the factory inner seal but I've known a few cases where they didn't. Installing the inner seal stopped the leak.

We measured both bearings with calipers their both the same. By putting inner bearings back in you stop the flow of lube to the green bearing. Tapered bearings are grease lubed and require the inner bearing. It looks like maybe a new housing end.

We measured both bearings with calipers their both the same. By putting inner bearings back in you stop the flow of lube to the green bearing. Tapered bearings are grease lubed and require the inner bearing. It looks like maybe a new housing end.

I think you mean inner seal, not inner bearing since there is no inner bearing, but anyway I'm pretty familiar with them as I've rebuilt a few. All the green bearings I have seen were sealed on both sides. I just assumed their all that way? Their permanently lubed (packed with grease). So your saying your axle bearing are open to the inside? I assume they must at least have a seal on the outside?

Yes I did mean inner seal. On the new bearing the bearing is the seal from what i understand. When i pulled the axles there were no inner seals. First time through for this type. A friend of mine races and they take their housings to a guy that will machine the bad end. Waiting to find out how much$$$$.

there is a seal before the bearing, when you pull the shaft out it will still be in the axle tube. mine had a bad bearing and leaked threw a new bearing in it and doesnt leak anymore, and there is two seals on the "green" bearing and another on the plate with 5 holes in it new bearing is like 40 bucks go on jegs strange engineering

On the new bearing the bearing is the seal from what i understand.

I've heard claims as such but have seen a couple leak, that's why I always use the factory inner seals

When i pulled the axles there were no inner seals.

Say what? It had to have inner seals if they were factory tapered bearings or you'd have had gear lube pouring out of it.

First time through for this type. A friend of mine races and they take their housings to a guy that will machine the bad end. Waiting to find out how much$$$$.

Ok. So you've actually measured the housing end and found it is worn?

Yes the end is worn and no it wasn't a factory bearing. I have yukon axles with green bearings ,no inner seal but i just may put them in as added insurance.

-
Back