axle length?

-

kittypancake

Reaction score
What is the proper length for a-body 8 3/4 axles? What are the measuring points?

I bought a pair of Moser axles, green bearings w/snap ring, and studs through Summit and they are 28". I measured them. They fit a Duster with an 8 3/4"-489.

They aren't the racing axle, but the replacement type. They are 90% as strong and it looks like they are half the price of Moser's Racing axles on their web. Buy them as a pair.
Moser installed the green bearings and 3" studs, at no charge.

A30-CST-AB45

Fits A body with 4 1/2" Pattern, have to use B body brakes. I bought Summits rear Disc Brake package.
Since I went to green bearings, I had to remove the thrust block. Since I had the cone type, I had to take it apart to remove the thrust block.

Looking at the different axle descriptions, I see that sometimes they are described as 27 11/16", but in detail they are 28". My original axles are 27 3/4"

Hope this helps !

My axle is an original A body 8.75 which is narrower than the B body. SBP axles, which I'm removing, are 27 11/16". Housing is 52 5/8". 742 case. no snap rings.

Mancini is trying to tell me this is wrong and A body axles are only 28" and bigger...and that we need to re-measure - but others seem to be confirming it's 27 11/16".

Funny thing is I'm upgrading to BBP and Wilwood Dyna pro 11" rear discs to match the 11" Dynalights up front (no 11" dynalight options for rear and want ability to run 15" wheels). Wilwood tells me to buy the axle first then they can spec the brakes. Moser says they can't spec the axles until I first buy the brakes. I figure Mancini will let me buy it all through them and make sure I get the right stuff up front and all at once - but now they are making me second guess my axle measurements...frustrating!

I think I need Moser 27 11/16" street car axles, no snap ring, green bearings, BBP, then Wilwood Dynalight 11" rear discs with 2.36" offset. Am I missing something??

Rob aka Crackedback is a axle guru! He was right all along even when Moser was wrong and telling me i was wrong. I ended up telling them to cut the axles to robs measurments and they fit.

27 11/16 is stock SBP axle for an A body 8.75.

The length is LONGER when you go to a LBP axle because the standoff distance from bearing to axle flange is greater. The standoff is about .400 or roughly 3/8" greater.

so if you do some rough math 27 11/16 + 6/16 = 28 1/16 so the new LBP axles would be ~28" long.

None of this " math is hard" stuff applies if you are using SBP drums and redrilling them to BBP.

Want to buy axles, call Dr. Diff. He's got good axles that will be the proper length and service is second top none! His BBP axles with long studs and green bearings are around $340 delivered.

Thanks everyone - I'll call Dr Diff on Monday to square away. Since I'm upgrading to rear disc brakes as well right now maybe the new axle will be longer than 27 11/16"...

I've been chewing this over for a few days,, and GOTTA ask...

I'm going out on a limb here,, and please correct me,, I'm really old school and haven't used "green bearings"..

As I understand it,,.- if you use the green brgs,, you don't need the "thrust button" that sits between the axles to supply nec. preload to the tapered roller brgs...

sooo..

my question is.. that "thrust button" is about (memory, I don't have one at hand), 5/16 in. thick, both sides.. so the axles in question ,, could they not be 28 inches long??? when the "trust button" is removed???

27 11/16 axle + 5/16 button = 28"

Just interested, cuz I gonna be doing this soon . ???

I just realized some diffs don't have the button to remove.. but interested in feed-back..

but then, why remove the button.?.? sheesh

Update - I called Dr Diff and he was great. I'd suggest someone call him with any specifics and for good parts at good prices.

I've been chewing this over for a few days,, and GOTTA ask...

I'm going out on a limb here,, and please correct me,, I'm really old school and haven't used "green bearings"..

As I understand it,,.- if you use the green brgs,, you don't need the "thrust button" that sits between the axles to supply nec. preload to the tapered roller brgs...

sooo..

my question is.. that "thrust button" is about (memory, I don't have one at hand), 5/16 in. thick, both sides.. so the axles in question ,, could they not be 28 inches long??? when the "trust button" is removed???

27 11/16 axle + 5/16 button = 28"

Just interested, cuz I gonna be doing this soon . ???

I just realized some diffs don't have the button to remove.. but interested in feed-back..

but then, why remove the button.?.? sheesh

Grant I haven't measured one but believe your right that they can be 28" if the thrust button/block is removed. I don't think they need to be quite that long though as the side gear splines don't go all the way in. But 28" axles should work, I think. Just my best guess as I haven't actually measure it.

-
Back