Axle movement?

-

Andre68

Reaction score
Okay so the other day I pushed my 68 dart out of my garage and into my driveway. Why I didn't drive it? It was 3am with only exhaust manifolds on hahaha Anyways, I noticed a random vibration in the rear by the tires. I thought just maybe I put the wheels on a little crooked, so I thought that maybe they were moving around. So I jacked the car up and i tried to jiggle the rear tire to look for play from maybe the tire being on crooked. I got none. I then pulled towards me and back towards the car, and I got movement. Took the wheels off and the drum cover. I then would move the (axle?) in and out a little.

Sorry I don't know exactly the terminology for the rear.

I went ahead and recorded 2 videos.
[ame]http://youtu.be/SM0SeIN57V4[/ame]

I will say that the last time I drove the car, which was about 2 weeks ago, it drove fine and I didn't feel any vibration by the rear wheels. I don't know if this is normal or not.

Car is a 68 dart with a 73 duster 8 1/4 rear end.

Normal for the 8.25. It has C clips that retain the axles and they have play like that.

This probably is, and might be, normal. But be aware, in my old age, I actually learned something this summer.

For a short time, I had a used "open" third member in mine that was owned by either "the burn out king" or the "mudder king."

I had stuck this member in while I reworked the limited slip in "the other one." These are Ferd 9". It became evident that there was an "odd" vibration. Three times on the hoist "wiggling" the tires, and shaking the axles, and finally pulling the axle, and FINALLY pulling the member showed the problem......................

The spider gear on one side WAS SO BADLY WORN and had been SPUN SO MUCH that the sides and back of the gear and the cavity in the housing had worn "sloppy" in other words while the wheel bearing had no play, the INNER END of the axle would move up/ down some 1/8" ? or so and you could FEEL this going down the street at 20-30 mph.

I think I might have photos of it here somewhere...........

They're grabbing good. I bought those extended crager lug nuts. I definantly feel safer hahaha

Yes use a little extra care when installing vintage aluminum mag wheels.
They make many different kinds of lugs and washers for different brands and styles.
Wheels, lugs and washers all have to be matched to your application. If you are unsure
Don't guess. Use thick large diameter washers if at all possible. They distort less when tightened more than normal.
Also I have never had good luck using a torque wrench on the old aluminum wheels
It is more of a feel thing. Even tension on all 5 increased gradually in a criss cross pattern
Tighter than normal torque specs works best. Tighten them like you don't want them to come off. Take for a short stop and go drive and re snug. Good to go. Some folks check them often but if put on right I never do anymore. Even the unilugs work fine with care.
Not good when they come off. I had one loosen up on me once 35 years ago.
I felt something was wrong and stopped to find my left rear wheel had wobbled as you speak of.
Was only being held on by 3 nuts and they had backed off a lot.
I have been careful ever since and no more problems with them.
Didn't mean to go on and on here but after watching your video
I think the wobble you felt had to be the wheel being loose.
I would check them all if I found 1 loose. Scary. Be safe and have fun.

I forgot to mention I like your wheel choice. I use the old slots on all my cars and trucks.
No rust or chrome to peel. Great muscle car style also.

-
Back