Axle rebuild kits???

-

superdart

Shade Tree Tinker Gnome.....
Reaction score
I am getting the parts together for my rear axle rebuild on the Dart.

Are there any kits I should stay away from due to quality problems? I was going to get one from Summit, but wanted to make sure there weren't any "bad" ones I should avoid.

It's an 8 1/4 axle that will be getting a new Suregrip and 3.55 gears.

I used motive 3:55's and a trak-lok differential in my 8-1/4 build. They were reasonably priced, in fact I bought the gears from National Drivetrain and if memory serves I bought the carrier off of e-bay as the carrier was a known commodity. I am a penny pincher since I have allot of toys to maintain. I set the gears up myself, first time doing this in fact and after their first run last saturday seemed to work very well, not noisey and the trak-lok performed flawlessly. Make sure you change out all the bearings while she is apart, especially the axle bearings and seals.

Well, currently I have 3.55 Mopar gears I got dirty cheap, and a brand new Mopar Suregrip, equally cheap. Both from the local Dodge dealership.

I was asking more about the rebuild kit itself (bearings, seals, shims, etc).
I was eyeing up the Motive with the Timken bearings. In another career all we used were Timkens on the heavy trucks adn they worked great.

-
Back