B-body 8 3/4 axle in a Duster! Photos

-

goldduster318

Overzealous Car Modifier
Reaction score
finally got around to putting my '68 B-body 8 3/4 into my Duster to replace its now for sale 8 1/4 axle. I added the MP offset shackle kit and had the spring pads moved inboard to the proper dimension (an extra 3/4" for a total of 1.25" per side from the stock B-body dimension). It also has 3" long wheelstuds.

I just need to add grease and bleed the brakes and its ready to go. The wheels are old type Cragar Street Stars at 15x7 with 4.125 backspacing and 225/60-15 tires at the current time.

2-18-2009004.jpg

2-18-2009006.jpg

2-18-2009008.jpg

2-18-2009012.jpg

2-18-2009013.jpg

2-18-2009015.jpg

2-18-2009017.jpg

2-18-2009019.jpg

2-18-2009020.jpg

2-18-2009021.jpg

It fits pretty well. I just need to re-route the exhaust that I had to cut off over the springs. Its actually easier to route the exhaust since the rear shackles are longer.

goldduster318: Nice job, now go out and have some fun with it.

looks great! Did you have to use the offset hangers or did you do it to increase clearance?

looks great! Did you have to use the offset hangers or did you do it to increase clearance?

I did it for increased tire clearance when I get around to getting wider wheels and tires. You don't have to, the axle is wider than a stock a-body one...you would only have to move the spring pads in 1/2" per side if you weren't moving the springs.

That being said, I don't think this would work so well in anything but a Duster/Demon/Dart Sport and maybe a 67-69 Barracuda

Hey can a 10inch tire fit? It looks like there is enough room. I was reading you post and I just got a 8 3/4 that was out of a b body. I'm going to intall in in my 73 duster. It is not a sure grip but i'm sure it is better than what I have which is a 7 1/4. I'm just looking at what tire options I will have to go with once everything is all hooked up. Thank you

Looks great!!

I am thinking about doing the same thing to my dart sport, can you measure the distance between the edge of the spring and the rim?

Thanks,

Bob

Between the edge of the spring and the rim is about 3 5/8". Between the tire and the edge of the spring is about 3 1/4.

Lots of room.

I always heard the biggest question w/ the b-body housing is the available backspacing on wheels on the market.

Have you measured and determined what size wheel/tire you're going to use? If so, is the right backspacing available to make it work and take full advantage of the added room the offset shackles/hangers made?

If you can just go and get the correct offset rims, why do people spend $$$ on A-body specific rears for their cars? Maybe they don;t want to get new rims?

I have an 8 3/4 from my 69 Bee (to be replaced w/ a Dana for the Bee) that I was planning to have cut down for my 68 Dart. Does it really need to be cut? If so, I guess the easiest way to determine what length is to center it in the wheel well, huh?

since you have a dart, and not the Duster/Demon/Dart Sport you'll probably want it cut. The wheelwells are that different. Standard width rearends look strange in a Duster/Demon/Dart Sport...this is an a-body 8 1/4 with the same wheels on it:
driveway2.jpg

For me, it seems like a 275 tire would fit in there with a 15x8 5.5" backspacing rim. The tire would have about 5/8" to the spring if my calculations are correct and would be about the same on the outside.

I bought a clean b-body rear (8 3/4" from a '65 Satellite) yesterday drum to drum with good condition brakes and new set of green bearings for $200. I am going to find out which wheels work with that in a 73 dart sport. I plan on using the offset shackles and spring hangers, but will make my final decision after I lay the housing up in there on the stock location springs (probably a week after race season ends next November).

I have some 10" wide wheels with 5" backspacing, they have plenty of room to the stock B-body spring locations. The A-body locations are a 1/2" inboard of the B-body ones. I plan on using some 8 inch wide with 5.5 backspacing, but think I can use even more backspacing if i can get wheels with 6.5"??

I will probably use the green bearings since my 4.57 chunk is a spool and I eventually want to go with that gear and a 28" or 29" tall tire.

Bob

since you have a dart, and not the Duster/Demon/Dart Sport you'll probably want it cut. The wheelwells are that different. Standard width rearends look strange in a Duster/Demon/Dart Sport...this is an a-body 8 1/4 with the same wheels on it:
driveway2.jpg

For me, it seems like a 275 tire would fit in there with a 15x8 5.5" backspacing rim. The tire would have about 5/8" to the spring if my calculations are correct and would be about the same on the outside.
Well, I have a Demon and an A body 8 3/4 too - I was planning on putting the A 83/4 in the Demon, but I can just as easily save that for the Dart if my B 8 3/4 will go in without a lot of problems. I guess the easiest thing for me to do is just get out there and do some measuring. The Dart will be mini tubbed w/ a relocation kit - the Demon will just have offset hangers/shackles.

BTW - anybody know where I can get a rear cut down in SE PA? I really have no clue who does that stuff, and who I can trust to do it right.

the b-body rear will work perfect in the demon. it will look just like it does in my car, they're identical. Put the a-body rear in the dart, especially since you'll have to move the spring pads on both anyway.

You guy's suck!!!! I'm unable to use a B-body rear. I have an early A-body. '65 barracuda. I've been told that there is no way to make it work without shorting the rear. Is that correct???

You guy's suck!!!! I'm unable to use a B-body rear. I have an early A-body. '65 barracuda. I've been told that there is no way to make it work without shorting the rear. Is that correct???

Look at the bright side: we are reducing the demand for A-body 8 3/4" rears!!

Might be able to use an earlier b body rear they are a little narrower than the later model ones.

I installed a 65 B-body 8 3/4 under my 73 340 D/S and it fit great ! even my slicks fit (29.5 x 9.5") . I think the Sports,dusters and Demons look better that way , the tires fill out the wheel wells better.

-
Back