B-Body 8 3/4 install question

-

dusted72

Thanks Hemiroid!!!!
Reaction score
Ok I know that the spring perches need to be moved but when I measured the width of my 7 1/4 then the 8 3/4 there was only a half an inch difference between the perches. So does that mean I have to cut off my perches and move each one a 1/4 inch? I already put it in the car just see if it would fit with no mods and I had no issues with it fitting. Went in first try right onto the little alignment bolts through the springs. So what gives could the perches have been welded on at the wrong place from the factory? The rear came from a 68 Satellite 2 door 318 auto 2.73 open diff. I included a pic but it doesn't show the fit ust the fact that it is in there, I also know the tires are way to big for it those are just rollers 235/75/15 on Magnum or Cordoba wheels.

Rearend in 003.jpg

purists would want the pads moved in but it seems theres quite a few fabo members that have done the same as you. seems there may be some binding issues with the leaf sp. bushings but other members will say its ok, no problem...
kind of depends on how you feel about driving it like that

If your rubber bushings in your springs are sloppy at all i think you could get away with it, i'm not sure that i would do it, it doesn't take much to reweld the spring perches in the correct place anyway.....I've seen guys spread the springs apart with a jack all to do it, i wouldn't do that though. Then you know it's too tight.

it all comes down to your preference. I personally plan on not re welding my perches but there are some people who think you need to. I am just poor and didn't want to buy new perches to weld on.

kinda off subject but did you have to shorten it? i didnt know b-body 8 3/4 will fit under an a body. perches are a lot easier then shortening the whole thing

kinda off subject but did you have to shorten it? i didnt know b-body 8 3/4 will fit under an a body. perches are a lot easier then shortening the whole thing

They fit under an A body with the perched being out a 1/2" on each side. No shortening is required but a rim with a healthy backspace makes things look like it belongs there. IMO a B body diff fills the wheelwells up nicely on a Duster/Dart Sport/Demon. I think there are clearance issues on the Swinger/Scamp........don't know about the Barracuda?

OK another question? What can I do to center the wheel/tire in the wheel well? I have no clearance in the front but a couple inches in the rear. Can I drive a new hole an inch or so back in the leaf spring and run a new bolt through it?

Are you using the 7 1/4 leaf springs in their exact location?
Below is a Duster with a B body 8 3/4 under it(thanks Robzilla). The wheel is pretty much centered in the wheel well.

DSC01957.jpg

Yeah they are stock springs from my /6 Duster. I am planning on getting another set I just thought these would be ok until I got new ones.

-
Back