B-body front end parts on an A-body??

-

doogievlg

Reaction score
i just received a front end rebuild parts kit from performance online. A good majority of the parts say 65-72 b-body on them. Some of the ones I saw on top were the adjusting sleeves and control arm bushings. Does anyone know if those parts would fit on a 73 swinger?

i just received a front end rebuild parts kit from performance online. A good majority of the parts say 65-72 b-body on them. Some of the ones I saw on top were the adjusting sleeves and control arm bushings. Does anyone know if those parts would fit on a 73 swinger?
Um.... send it back and get the right kit.

Um.... send it back and get the right kit.

I have the correct info on the ticket but the parts say other wise. I called performance online and they claim that those parts are interchangeable.

C7B81338-2D44-48C2-8A89-120B786E787C.jpeg

4E708350-1BD8-4B7C-AFD1-1CC9FB67FC2C.jpeg

601E361E-2EC1-4980-A66D-23D1622A257B.jpeg

I would not make a guess. Look all the parts up.

Just to help get you started, the balls joints PN's all check out on RockAuto as being for a '73 Dart, but personally I would doublecheck on a 2nd parts source like an older Moog listing. (Those K numbers are old Moog numbers IIRC.)

Beginning in 1973 A bodies with the large bolt pattern use B body front end parts

I am still going to be making a call to PST but it seems like the numbers are checking out. Thank you

I've used B body stuff on A bodies several times -- works fine they are a little heavier duty upper and lower ball joints same as 73 + disc brake a body and the tie rod ends are larger diameter threads

Those are the right part numbers.

There are many parts that mopars of the same era share in common.

A, B, E bodies use the same lower and upper bushings, tie rod adjusting sleeves.

73-76 A body disk and 10" drum, All E body, all B-body use the same upper ball joints. K-772... (edit) as do most fabricated short track race cars

Depending on the style most strut rod bushing are same for A, B, E.

Last edited:

A, B, E bodies use the same lower and upper bushings, tie rod adjusting sleeves.

73-76 A body disk and 10" drum, All E body, all B-body use the same upper ball joints. K-727... as do most fabricated short track race cars

Good to know! We need a sticky!

73-76 A body disk and 10" drum, All E body, all B-body use the same upper ball joints. K-727... as do most fabricated short track race cars

They sent k772 upper ball joints. Are you telling me those won’t work on my disc brakes? The reason I am rebuilding this is because I’m switching to disc brakes.

In 73 Mopar started standardizing a lot of stuff that was different on A bodies than B or E bodies. Big bolt pattern disc brakes on A bodes therefore use the same upper and lower ball joints as B Bodies. They also use the same rotors, calipers and caliper brackets. There may be small differences in caliper hose routing and proportioning valves but most of the replacable wear items are interchangable. They did something similar when in 72 they went to that universal plastic side marker lens, and no more individual pot metal chrome plated side marker bezels. Now, there was some small bolt pattern stuff still kicking around in the parts bins in 73 so SOME of those lower powered A bodies got small bolt pattern brakes and control arms, mostly on slant sixes. But towards late 74 thru 76 everything pretty much got big bolt pattern disc brakes. that's why a lot of B bodies get upgraded disc brakes by using 73 - up A body spindles, because they used the same upper and lower ball joints and rotors, and because their geometry works on a B body.

In 73 Mopar started standardizing a lot of stuff that was different on A bodies than B or E bodies. Big bolt pattern disc brakes on A bodes therefore use the same upper and lower ball joints as B Bodies. They also use the same rotors, calipers and caliper brackets. There may be small differences in caliper hose routing and proportioning valves but most of the replacable wear items are interchangable. They did something similar when in 72 they went to that universal plastic side marker lens, and no more individual pot metal chrome plated side marker bezels. Now, there was some small bolt pattern stuff still kicking around in the parts bins in 73 so SOME of those lower powered A bodies got small bolt pattern brakes and control arms, mostly on slant sixes. But towards late 74 thru 76 everything pretty much got big bolt pattern disc brakes. that's why a lot of B bodies get upgraded disc brakes by using 73 - up A body spindles, because they used the same upper and lower ball joints and rotors, and because their geometry works on a B body.
I’ve got a 75 Duster with SBP all around so some cars got the older parts until at least some time in 75.

Got 75 Duster /6 with drums and sbp on all 4 corners also

They sent k772 upper ball joints. Are you telling me those won’t work on my disc brakes? The reason I am rebuilding this is because I’m switching to disc brakes.

My mistake. The 727 auto trans number gets stuck in my head.

K772's are correct for the large B/E/73-76 disk & 10" drum type upper ball joint upper control arms.

Your kit is fine.

-
Back