B body 'K' into a 68 Dart?

-

Magiver

Reaction score
I'm concidering putting the complete suspension system from a 75 Cordoba in my 68 Dart.
I've never heard of anybody doing this, but I'm sure it has been. I will have to narrow the K about 2 ".
And build mounting plates on the sub frame.
When complete, if everything works out it should drive like a dream. It will end up with power disc brakes, power steering, sway/stabelizer bar and cushoned rubber mounts to attenuate vibration.
Has anybody heard of this being done?

Never heard of this being done.
You can install the 11.75 Cordoba brakes on the 73 up spindles without the b body k-frame.
Power brakes and steering also easily done with a body parts.
Not sure the rubber isolated k-frame would be worth the effort for you. Most would prefer not to have the rubber biscuits. I would think the soft comfy ride comes from the added weight and wheelbase as much as anything that the a-body doesn't have. Track width is something to compare also. The Cordoba's do ride great though.

Not sure I understand why this is supposed to be "better." But if you insist, wouldn't the Aspen / Volare stuff be a better starting place

Rubber isolated k-members have proven to be a BAD idea everywhere Chrysler tried it. You are planning on adding a lot of weight for absolutely no gain...

You'll have the illest handling Dart you can build for the money, and none of the benefits of either car.

You will however, have something unique that you never have to worry about anybody copying.

You'll have the illest handling Dart you can build for the money, and none of the benefits of either car.

You will however, have something unique that you never have to worry about anybody copying.

I would advise against it.....throws the geometry ( pivot points) completely off

The only reason I was considering it is because I have the thing. I don't have any of the right parts. The spindles from the Cordoba aren't on the compatible list.
This Dart drives poorly and the brakes are even worse. I plan to put a 360 in it but not until I can steer it and stop it.

The spindles ARE compatible with the later 73+ BBJ uca's. The article about them being incompatible is simply an opinion, and has since been proven wrong by actually testing the geometry changes of using the later FJM and B body spindles on A-bodies. Yes, there is a slight suspension geometry change. It's negligible to pretty much everyone using their car on the street, and possibly even advantageous for those using their cars for autoX or road courses.

I have FJM spindles on my Duster and my Challenger. They work fine in both applications. Heck I think one of those sets is from a Cordoba even. You can use the Cordoba spindles and brakes on your Dart. You'll need either BBJ A-body uca's, or DrDiff's ball joint sleeves to use the spindles on your '68. You should even be able to use the power brake set up, although that may depend on which booster is actually on the car and what engine is in Dart.

Leave the K frame alone, swap the spindles and brakes, and buy a set of sway bars. The power steering chunk will swap over as well, but you'll need a new pitman arm for your application.

Thanks for the info. The Dart has power steering now it's just the typical over power of the 60's with no feel at all. The Cordoba had a much better feel to the steering. Maybe it was just because of the weight.
What is a good place to buy the BBJ UCA. Some of the places say theirs have a 3deg correction to the castor. What does that mean?

It's because with modern tires, you normally want way more caster, and many times run out of adjustment with the factory pieces, read on:

If you do some searching here about disc brake conversions, suspension beef, and alignment, you'll find that you don't want to align these to the old specs, with radio tires

Start by reading this:

http://www.allpar.com/history/mopar/front-end-alignment.html

Notice the "skosh" chart for alignment specs. These cars, "in their day," with bias tires, were aligned with LESS caster and completely OPPOSITE camber. That is, they (then) had the tops of the tires pointing OUT with positive camber. Now you want the OPPOSITE, you want the tops of the tires IN for NEGative camber, and you want much more caster especially with power steering.

If your old power box is in good shape you can re-use it. There are all kinds of routes to go with this.

You really need to do some reading and searching here. There has been TONS of stuff written on "what to do" with these front ends and "how to do it."

Stuff you might "fall into." Around 73, I think, the power box spline was changed to a larger size, AND the studs on the pitman arm and idler arm were reversed

WHAT THIS MEANS is there are FOUR parts that MUST go together depending on small spline vs large spline steering box.

The box must fit the pitman, and the pitman, the idler, and the center link must all match. The dividing year for the studs orientation was 67--72 and 73 / later

Here

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=236925

The other "trouble" is that in 73, Ma changed the front anti-sway bar, meaning, later one goes up through the hollow K member. Before that, underneath. This means the tabs on the lower arms are different.

If you buy an add on aftermarket bar, it's going to "depend" on what you get

I am certain, that you can much more easily improve the handling of "what you have" rather than hacking that front clip under the car. These parts are still available, and in the collector car world, "not that expensive."

-
Back