B body rear in an an body

-

AdamR

Big Member
Reaction score
Is anyone running a B body rear (un cut) in there car ? Seeing they are easier to find I may try one. Hoping it will fit fine with a 5.5" backspcing rim.

adam do you have arear already?...If not i have the housing with the perches moved already..let me know

I had an uncut B rear in my 71 Dart. I used custom wheels with 5 1/2 back spacing (woulda been better with 5 3/4" or 6" would have been best with 225/50 15's, but with some trimming and rolling of the inner lip it is useable, in a 71 that is.

I put the exact same rear in my 73 and exact same wheels and tires and it just didn't have the clearance that I had with the 71. Not to mention when I stuffed the monster 245/60 15's under there. That required more grinding and smoothing of the wheel well lip and narrowing the rear end 3/4" on each side and using stock axles cut down the same amount providing for a total narrowing from the stock B body width (1962-70) of 55 inches flange to flange to 53 1/2 inches flange to flange.

Stock 1973-76 A bodies have a 51.4" flange to flange width, so this makes it possible to use a wheel equall or greater in width but that only requires 1" more of back spacing than stock, the 1963-72 A bodies had a flange to flange width of 53.2" so you can see how perfectly this would work for those cars and why the stock B housing works better in a 71 as opposed to the 73.

How many of you realized that this was something that could be done?

i have heard about this, but wasn't sure. this guy i know says he just puts them in and doesn't move the spring perch. he says the 1/2" doesn't really make much difference. is he right? would this fit in a second gen cuda? i know darts have lower rear fenderwells, but never done it.

I change the spring perches to match the width of the leaf springs. I feel it does make a difference, just as the length of the shackles and location of the shackle top mount make a difference to how the springs react to susspension loading and unloading. Not to mention that your putting a twisting load against the spring eye bushings that will at the very least cause premature wear of the bushings.

You can hammer a square peg into a round hole, but that dosn't make it right.

sgd128 said:
adam do you have a rear already?...If not i have the housing with the perches moved already..let me know

No I dont havea rear yet.

redfastback said:
i have heard about this, but wasn't sure. this guy i know says he just puts them in and doesn't move the spring perch. he says the 1/2" doesn't really make much difference. is he right? would this fit in a second gen cuda? i know darts have lower rear fenderwells, but never done it.

I would move the perches in. Forceing the springs in place is a bad idea. Th ebe body rear shopuld be an easier fit in a Barracuda then a Dart with the low quarter openings. I think 68 Hemi Darts used B body Dana's and think of how they hacked the 1/4s open for tire space.

Interested? let me know ASAP..i may not be using it

-
Back