B Body springs in an A Body?

-

mopower76

Reaction score
image.jpeg
ok... Searched a bunch and never found a definite answer.

Can I use B Body springs in my 1969 Dart?
It's a 383 4 speed with an 8.75 and 3.91 gears but the stock 340 auto springs are weak and it wheel hops horribly.
Im trying to fix on the cheap, I have a NEW set of B Body HEMI 4 speed stock springs just sitting around and I hope I can use them.
I just want a heads up on what to expect before I dive In. If it's going to be a hassle I'll wait and get SS springs.
Thanks in advance
Mopar to ya!

Any change in the front segment length will alter your wheelbase, causing tire clearance issues, and likely require a longer driveshaft. Wait & do it right.
Front hanger bolt size may be different with the SS springs and may cause the car to sit too high in the rear. Aftermarket hangers with extra holes can adjust it down a bit

mopar-performance-original-equipment-leaf-spring-set-52.gif

Last edited:
Depends on the year B body and how long the rear segment is as well. Take a look again at the chart.

Mancini racing has good springs. ESPO.com has very good springs, stock or over bent by 1 or 2 inches as per your request.

According to that chart A bodies and early B bodies are the same? Is that correct?
Or if you want to tub it with a big tire and move the springs rearward, a 64-65 spring will do that by 1".

B & E body springs are interchangeable...

A bodies are different than those...

Like mentioned already the segment lengths are different. So they are not a direct bolt in.
If I was determined to use what you already have without spending I would remove the springs and
separate the leaf packs. You could stack all the lower
B body leaves under the original a body main leaf.
Use a large c clamp on the stack when taking out the center bolts.
They are under pressure.

Like mentioned already the segment lengths are different. So they are not a direct bolt in.
If I was determined to use what you already have without spending I would remove the springs and
separate the leaf packs. You could stack all the lower
B body leaves under the original a body main leaf.
Use a large c clamp on the stack when taking out the center bolts.
They are under pressure.

That's a great reply, I'm fairly certain I will just bite the bullit and get SS springs or just start with CalTracks and some extra clamps in front and removing some clamps from the rear and a adjustable pinion snubber. That's how my 70 Challenger is set up and it hits hard. 1.41 short times on radials.
I was just trying to go cheap but that doesn't always work!
Thanks for all of the opinions and knowledge!

-
Back