B&M or Hurst auto shifter

-

skybolt

Reaction score
Going from column to floor shifter and in a quandary as to what shifter I want. The car has a 904 manual reverse pattern and I am considering the pistol grip Hurst quarter shifter because it has a micro switch built in for line lock, trans brake and considering both. I know a lot of you guys have opinions on this. Your thoughts?

I have a B&M hammer in my dart,i like it.I do like the Hurst quarter as well,looks like it would be a better shifter for drag racing.

I'm using a B&M Megashifter in my RC. It took me a bit to get used to it, but there's no way someone can miss a gear. It's fun to play around with too, lol.

Here's the bad side. As far as I know, all Hurst and B&M auto tranny shifters route the cable to the front of the trans. This causes some issues in regards to cable routing, mainly the exhaust burning the cable. I have a ton of room in my RC to route but the cable still burned and almost left me stranded. I had to go with the extra HD version that was, IIRC, 1' shorter to keep the cable far enough away from the exhaust.

Form that experience I learned that the next time around, I'm going with a Turbo Action Cheetah shifter. It has a rear entry set-up that avoids the whole cable routing problem. They are not cheap, but you get what you pay for.

tac-70001b.jpg

tac-70250.jpg

Thanks for the reply RAMCHARGER but their website shows GM and Ford as rear exit and the Chrysler as front.

Thanks guys. I wanted a rear cable exit with a momentary switch for line lock and trans brake. I think the following are just what the doctor ordered.

B&M 81050 B&M Magnum Grip Street Bandit Shifter (rear cable exit) used in conjunction with B&M 81060 - B&M Button Shifter Knob

B&m always seemed cheap to me. Always used hurst in the past. But ever since putting the turbo action cheetah shifter in my dart I will use nothing else from here on out. That thing works smoother then any shifter I have used, the cable exits the front of the shifter but wraps around the rear of the trans. Keeps the cable away from the hot spots and away from the clutter. Mine also has a line lock switch built into it. The shifter is well worth the money

It's pretty easy to convert just about any shifter to a rear exit.

I do it to the 1/4 sticks and make a bracket at the trans. Nothing but beating the crap out of some steel stock and a few drill bits/rotobroaches

Next time I do one, I should post some pictures.

turbo action in 2 of my past vehicles, when i get that far (many years from now) will be a turbo action again......:cheers:

It's pretty easy to convert just about any shifter to a rear exit.

I do it to the 1/4 sticks and make a bracket at the trans. Nothing but beating the crap out of some steel stock and a few drill bits/rotobroaches

Next time I do one, I should post some pictures.

Cool! You should!

-
Back