b&m shifter opinions

-

macho781988

your resident horses a$$
Reaction score
i bought a car recently, and id like to buy a floor shifter for it and wanted to know how hard itd be to install and run or if there are any issues i should worry about? and for you guys that have the floor shifters how do you like them? also do i really need a b&m or should i just find a stocker and change the knob to a t handle?

You don't really NEED a B&M to have a decent floor shifter as Hurst and a few others are good also.
I love mine and it's a Hurst Promatic 2.
The only drawback to installing one is the cable needs to be routed where it won't get burned by the exhaust.

I think putting a stock one in a car that didn't have one would be a bit pricey and more of a pain to install.

well, its not a mopar that im putting one in so i think itll be cheap. so would it still br pricey to put a stocker in? also i dont want a rachet shifter or racing style as its just a driver and the floor shifter would just make it better to me.

B&M Z-Gate is a lower cost shifter with no ratchet b.s. My bud had one for years till he went reverse pattern.

may no be the cheapest choice out there but its far better then any hurst oe b&m shifter i've ever tried.

operates very smooth. the cable runs around the rear of the trans so its away from all those hot exhaust areas and has none of those always in the way brackets in an already tight area.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/tac-70001b/overview/

if its just a driver and a floor shifter set up is cheap and easy to get then go that route..

i bought a car

well, its not a mopar that im putting one in so i think itll be cheap. .

I don't believe I even know what you are asking

If this is a Chevelle of which were made millions, probably pretty cheap to go find parts for a "stocker"

If this is a 1963 Studebaker Golden Hawk, not so much.

This is, after all, a fairly specialized Mopar forum. I don't know a thing about

Golden Hawks

Jags

Shelby A/C Cobra replicars

Ferraris

or for that matter, Mercury Cyclones or Rambler Americans.

So to repeat what a famous person once said.............

What kind of car?

Keep in mind that Hurst and B&M both have several different styles / models within the same brand. Some are better than others. For example, I had a B&M "Starshifter" that worked very well, it was solid as a rock and very smooth operating. Yes, it is a ratchet shifter, but can also be used in the traditional way. I don't think I have seen any bad reviews on the Starshifter.

its an 86 monte with a 305 and od trans, now i know its a chevy but the universal floor shifters are all the same and i know i can trust wat you guys say since many of you do this swap for drag racing. let the hatemail commence! lol

-
Back