Votes: 25 59.5%
  • RB

Votes: 17 40.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
-

JGC403

Reaction score
So this kind of goes along with my other thread: Big block conversions, do it again? Now I am settled on going big block for the barracuda. I checked the BB 727 that I have and it has the bosses for the floor shift auto, so we are good there. I already have a 1978 440 short block in the garage, it will need to be completely rebuilt. But I has the bosses on the driverside of the block for the A-body mount. I found a complete 383 for $300 not to far away from me. So what would you do B or RB.

I should say manual steering and brakes isn't that big of a deal for me.

Is there a lot of difference in how much more space the RB takes up? If not I'll use what I got and build a 440 Barracuda.

The low deck fits better and you have more exhaust options. P/S is easier with a low deck also. Power brake booster is easier also.

The low deck fits better and you have more exhaust options. P/S is easier with a low deck also. Power brake booster is easier also.

i was gonna say the same thing, and will make the same power, just with more rpms

Well, are you going to stroke the 383?

Low deck, exhaust problems, weight. I go with the B block. Back in the day: "catch me in the first 60 feet, or you won't catch me at all" ( 340 A body VS 440 HP B body cars)
383's can be made to really embarrass 440's in 1970, when in the A body car.

Throw a good running 383 in the car first, easy to find and cheap - usually $200 or so. Sort out the car and enjoy driving it with that 383 while you collect the pieces for the 400 stroker. Could even throw a few bolt-ons at the 383 and make it somewhat respectable. When the 400 stroker is done, swap it out in a weekend.

Low deck, exhaust problems, weight. I go with the B block. Back in the day: "catch me in the first 60 feet, or you won't catch me at all" ( 340 A body VS 440 HP B body cars)
383's can be made to really embarrass 440's in 1970, when in the A body car.

I couldn't have said it better.

I couldn't have said it better.

Hey I'm old. I saw these cars race when new. When a well set up 340 showed up,it was
over. You didn't have to spend a bunch to get a 340 dart to stick, but 383-440 B blocks needed tires, and skill to drive. any Amatuer could step on a 340 Dart and go fast. That is how it was. I have a 383 Cuda, and this doesn't take anything away from them, but a 340 A body was like riding a Z1-A 900 Kawasaki in1974. Docile and subservient
, until you cranked it. That was one bad bike. Sorry for the History lesson.

I have a 400, and am tempted to build a nice engine for the Cuda as some have done here. I am still learning.

Right, so he gets a 400. It's not like they're expensive.

So he should spend more money?
(Re-read his first/all posts maybe?)

Between the 383 & the 440, which would you run now and which one to build later.

So he should spend more money?
(Re-read his first/all posts maybe?)

Between the 383 & the 440, which would you run now and which one to build later.

IMO if you're setting the car up for a B, stick with a B. He wants to know which direction to go, and I advised go with B. As far as spending more money, he's just getting started. If throwing another $200 at a crusty 400 will make or break his budget, he needs to stay away from building fast cars.

Then again, he wants to use what he listed, what he has. Your statement of May e he should stay away from cars if he doesn't have $200 to spend on another block is completely unhelpful and basicly a really poor statement as a defense or offense to my reply above.

Let's look this over and how your statement is completely bull ****.

400 block = $200

Maybe for you! But there is also the condition of the block and what it may need vs. what he has & what it may not need.
If the block is not local the. There time and money getting the block.

It ain't $200 anymore now is it!

He could, run the 383 now and build the 440 for later or the other way around.

Also, his money pocket depth is of no concern in the matter at hand. Just the questions answer.
IF you can not answer or help in this matter, perhaps you should not post, like the money issue mention you made above.

The bottom line here is, can you answer his question or are you just going to be a tool and make a mess of the thread?

Then again, he wants to use what he listed, what he has. Your statement of May e he should stay away from cars if he doesn't have $200 to spend on another block is completely unhelpful and basicly a really poor statement as a defense or offense to my reply above.

Let's look this over and how your statement is completely bull ****.

400 block = $200

Maybe for you! But there is also the condition of the block and what it may need vs. what he has & what it may not need.
If the block is not local the. There time and money getting the block.

It ain't $200 anymore now is it!

He could, run the 383 now and build the 440 for later or the other way around.

Also, his money pocket depth is of no concern in the matter at hand. Just the questions answer.
IF you can not answer or help in this matter, perhaps you should not post, like the money issue mention you made above.

The bottom line here is, can you answer his question or are you just going to be a tool and make a mess of the thread?

Maybe you should relax and quit being so anal about the direction a thread takes?

I suggested he go with the 383, and then I expanded on what he could do to replace it with a stronger B engine down the road. Is that so hard to understand?

And yes, a 400 costs about $200 in my area...I paid that much for a complete '72 with 230 casting block just last summer. It required some time scrounging and calling around, but they're still out there.

If you are keeping stock stroke, the 440 would be more bang for the buck. Cheaper to rebuild too unless you don't care about decent compression ratio. However, exh is harder to fit, power brakes are out (which for me would never enter into the equasion anyway), and fitting a 440 with any real intake under a stock hood will give up some power. The B wedge fits easier, is about the same weight as a stock small block, and should be easy to find. You could sell the 440 for more than any 383 is worth.

Go with the 440 that you already have.
There's no replacement for displacement at the budget level here, which is what you stated.

speaking by someone that gets a sh-- eatin grin on his face toolin down the road in a slant these days......... I have always liked the characteristics of the stock 383 ( ie 68 roadchicken?0, had plenty of 340, 383, 440, stock hp motors .. to compare..).. price of cars and parts vary muchly by location. round here a runnin 400 maybe even a 383 could be found had for $200. ya gotta check with old mopar buddies that hawk parts. ya gotta look and not on craigs...( might if your real luckly)..

fun car was the stock 383 b body of 68-70. eben more fun in 67-9 A car. most of us want a fun car to drive on street, maybe occasional trip to the strip, so rear gear has a lot to do with it, stick or auto.....

I have found B.RB motors from mid 70's didn't seem to get the cylinder wear of 60's engines. rings I assume?? if you have time to pick and choose, se what you find in cheap B motor??? sense you have to spend $1500-2000 on rebuild of the 440????

the key to any build is to design it to meet your needs?????!! and working within your budget to get there.

Run the 383 with the good 68-69 HP b body manifolds. Passenger side drops in, driver side may need to have the column housing shortened. But they will fit. Build the 383 fairly mild and run it while you whoop up a 440 based engine and save for god headers.

Right, so he gets a 400. It's not like they're expensive.

Instead of buying a 400 just put that money in the 440. Don"t worry about weight the engine you build wont weigh the same as a stock 440 unless you build to spec.I built my 440 in my living room and me and my brother lifted it out of there and into my truck. We also weighed the car and right now it weighs 2720. I am hopping to get it to 3000lbs when everything is done. The only thing on it that is fiberglass is the hood. Both are vary engines but you allready have the 440. Mark

-
Back