Baby seat in an A-Body?

-

ScampNYC

Reaction score
I have a 71 Scamp and a 16 month boy. Anyone ever put a baby seat in the back of their A-Body? The little guy is obsessed with this car, I'd love to drive him around in it.

Would love to see pics of a baby seat in the rear seat, and any tips if folks have done it before. Seems like it might be hard with a 2 door.

Just strap it in tight like you would in Mom's mini van. Middle position of course.

New baby seats are set up for newer cars.(Daughter has a 2 year old) You may want to remove the back seat bottom and then top to make a mount for the top strap. Easily done with the bracing frame work of the car.Package tray area.
As Mike said the bottom will be the center seatbelt location. A 71 should have the 3 placement belts in the rear.

Cool. My concern is the bulk of baby seats today. I'm wondering if there is even room to have it back there without the front bench mashed up by the steering wheel. I'll guess I'll have to try it and find out.

Cool. My concern is the bulk of baby seats today. I'm wondering if there is even room to have it back there without the front bench mashed up by the steering wheel. I'll guess I'll have to try it and find out.
Not a rear facing car seat. I can’t see it working, especially in a bench car. My 3 and 4 year olds can ride in their boosters in the back of the barracuda but it puts their feet on the back of the buckets no matter how far forward the seat is.

I've considered this before and the one thing to consider is that A bodies don't have any anchors so that you can secure the top anchor of the seats for forward facing car seats (as was stated above). I don't see why rear facing wouldn't work other than the factor of space. Each car seat varies a bit in size.
I'm not sure how convenient it'll be to carry your kid in and drop them in yourself before strapping them in but once they can get in the car themselves you can have them make their own way into the rear facing seat and then you just reach over and strap them in

There's no way to hook them over the rear seat back in an A body, and even then the steering wheel would hit the back of the front seat...
1724770353152.png

(C'mon guys, you know I'm kidding here...)
When my granddaughter was young (13 now) the car seats were still strapped in by the lap/shoulder belts, not sure if any are that way anymore. Her car seat would fit if I left the passenger seat (bucket or bench) flipped forward.

I'm not sure how convenient it'll be to carry your kid in and drop them in yourself before strapping them in but once they can get in the car themselves you can have them make their own way into the rear facing seat and then you just reach over and strap them in
Oh wow, I haven't even thought about the little fella climbing in himself. I actually think he'll be able to do that soon. He can get on and off the sofa now. That will be a game changer!

Just chunk him up on the rear deck. That's where we used to ride. LOL

When I have to drive around my daughter in my 1999 dodge ram extended cab, I put her car seat in rear facing and I just lift her onto the rear bench and tell her to hop into her seat. It's a game for her and she loves it. Once she's in, I half crawl into the cab to strap her in no issues and away we go.
I can't imagine that back seat being much bigger than an A body and it has the same issue of no anchor for having a forward facing anchor point. I just throw a towel on the truck seat to not mess it up, and I crank down on the seatbeat to secure the car seat in and check it for slack just in case

Something to consider... the child seat in the back seat came about due to air bags in the front seats. With no airbags it might be as safe to have front or rear facing in the front passenger seat. As far as I know car seats still come with a way to use a lap belt to attach them at least the ones I had for my kids 23 years ago did :lol:

Also our cars are not the safest cars to be in, in a crash.

I'm not saying don't try or do it. BUT most of us were kids in these cars and maybe even used the seatbelt and MOST of us survived.

Found this.

-
Back