Back in the saddle again...

-

Bookmaker

Reaction score
I haven't sat in an A-body since 1979 when I sold my well-worn 1973 Dart Sport /6 which I had in high school and college for a new Dodge Aspen. I loved that Dart Sport and I had a lot of fantastic adventures in it. Today I took delivery of a 1974 Duster 318 auto. This car is a true survivor. Less than 11,000 original miles. It even has the original exhaust system which looks remarkably good. It runs great and drives like a new car. First things I will want to do for it is add power brakes and change that 2.45 diff for a 3.2.

Anyway here she is. The bottom photo is my other Mopar.

Attachments

• 1-rightside.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 221
  • 1-engine.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 228
  • 1-front_int.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 221
  • 1-rear_int.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 210
  • 1-speedo.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 203
  • 1-challenger.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 202
HOLY COW looks like you got "retreaded" with a BANG!!

Very nice. Not many left like that. I'd be keeping it as close to original as possible and showing it. Carlisle does a survivor tent. No amount of restoration can get you there.

Very nice. Not many left like that. I'd be keeping it as close to original as possible and showing it. Carlisle does a survivor tent. No amount of restoration can get you there.

I agree, I would not touch it as far as changing things, just do the mechanical things that may need done.

Wow, that is a time capsule.

I agree, I would not touch it as far as changing things, just do the mechanical things that may need done.

Wow, that is a time capsule.

That is pretty much my plan. I agree that it needs to be shown as is as a survivor. I will be taking it to Carlisle next summer.

Thanks for everyone's input. I am definitely going to keep this car stock. She needs some TLC here and there. I'm going to change out all of the fluids, including coolant, brake fluid, trans fluid, diff fluid do that I know the starting point for everything. I also want to inspect the seals in the braking system just to ensure everything is good and safe. I ordered a set of original service manuals for it.

I've been reading up on Preservation Class Survivor Cars. It is VERY clear to me that I should change NOTHING on this car unless required for safety. As it stands, this car is 99% original. Although it has aftermarket wheels, I have the original wheels and wheel covers. The car has the original spare tire, inflated and in good shape (original air?). I have the original wiper blades to which I am adding new refills. And although the previous owner replaced the original plug wires, coil, and cap/rotor, he kept the originals and I have them. The car has the original exhaust system. The shocks may not be original. I will need to get a closer look at them. I can document the chain of custody from the original owner. It is dawning on me that finding this car was like finding a Rembrandt in the attic.

Here's what Haggerty says about cars like this.
https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/Articles/2009/06/02/Preservation-Class-Cars

-
Back