Back on the road after nearly 40 years!

-

mopar56

Reaction score
I know I know it's not a A- body but I've owned this old truck about 32 years now and it had been sitting at least 8 more before I got it. I switched gears as to what direction I was going to take with it MANY times over the years, and with life thowing all sorts of things at me while I owned it, plus raising two kids and helping with two grand kids I finally got it done! ( well there never really done ) but done enough, I insured it for three months the other day and then got my eldest son to come on the inaugural voyage , ( in case I had to push, lol ), and she ran quite well, I didn't go far because it needs a wheel alignment and I found out I need to re- bleed the brakes, but I'll tell ya, I had a grin on my face! Nothing special for a drive train just a good old 318, ( removed from low mile 71 survivor dart ), 4bbl eddy carb, cast iron case a833, removed myself MANY years ago from a low mile survivor Barracuda that I converted to a auto for a fellow. And a 8 3/4 rear with a 392 case and sure grip, she sits on a 81 Dodge frame so I have front disc etc. P/S M/B. BTW the picture taken driving from inside was my son not me I was busy checking gauges and traffic, lol.

20240607_135512.jpg

20240607_135459.jpg

20240607_135446.jpg

IMG_1155.jpg

IMG_1157.jpg

20240213_191211.jpg

20240129_203812.jpg

20240111_185325.jpg

Very nice, I had a 56 years ago, I put a 318 auto in, it was a fun truck with little money spent.

Once you get the alignment done and all of the fiddly stuff corrected, you'll get plenty of "smiles" to the gallon. NICE looking truck!!!

Hey thanks to all, for the kind words and thumbs up, for what it's worth I have asked many a question and received lots of help and ideas putting it together especially with wiring for ignition etc. When I started this project the wiring was all rotted so I removed ALL of it and completely started from scratch, in hind sight I should have purchased a wiring harness of sorts. But no I did it the hard way creating my own harness and running every bloody wire separately. But that's where you guys came in many times. Thanks!

That's a beautiful 56! I had a 56 big back window Dodge in the early 80's. Someone before me had put a 383 and 727 in it, plus L60-15's all the way around. With the factory steering box that was about as big as your fist....that thing was a handful to parallel park! That's one of those vehicles I wish I'd never let get away! :realcrazy:

Sweet!!! Great to see that classic looking awesome and on the road!!

Yesterday there was a huge car show in our town, it's a pre-registration that caps at 600 cars and trucks and is limited to 79 and earlier North American vehicles with a few exceptions my two sons and I entered our vehicles, it was pretty cool to have all three parked together for this great event. Man it was hot and a bit of a traffic jam getting off the greens later on but kudos to the organizers for getting it done! There was some quality machines there too. Hers a few photos, the oldest son has the black 79 Dodge s/b 340/ a833, youngest has a red 70 Duster 318/ a833 and mine in the middle. I helped both sons get their rigs on the road before I finished mine.

20240810_132245.jpg

I always liked how Dodge never changed their step-side beds for like 30 years.
I think the tailgate on the green truck should be stamped Dodge.
Well your partially right, the rear fenders stayed the same from 53 to 84 but the beds we're slightly different, the older ones we're narrower but as I think I mentioned earlier the original bed was a bit rough on this one so I used a bed from a 78 Warlock so yes it's the same as my son's. And I agree the tailgate needs a little something I just haven't decided exactly what yet. I have some ideas and when I do it I'll post it! Thanks

Well your partially right, the rear fenders stayed the same from 53 to 84 but the beds we're slightly different, the older ones we're narrower but as I think I mentioned earlier the original bed was a bit rough on this one so I used a bed from a 78 Warlock so yes it's the same as my son's. And I agree the tailgate needs a little something I just haven't decided exactly what yet. I have some ideas and when I do it I'll post it! Thanks
Yeah I think 71 was the last year of the stamped tailgates.

This is what I did with the original tailgate, the only part I saved from the original box from the day she was built, it isn't on the truck but I still can enjoy it, this sits at my front door!

20240807_170104.jpg

20240807_170030.jpg

20240807_170038.jpg

-
Back