Back seat elimination

-

rod7515

Reaction score
I am considering not putting my back seat back in when I do the reassemble. With the roll bar it wont be easy to get back there and I would probably never haul anyone back there anyways. So I was wondering what have others done to make a nice looking rear section. If you've eliminated your back seat please post pics. Heres the only one I have found so far and it doesnt look bad. Wish I had a better pic. Also how would you mount it? Also what material would you make it out of?
Thanks Rod

View attachment dart12.jpg

Is there no one that has changed the rear compartment? I was hoping to see other ideas and some better pics. It doesn't have to be a Dart, it actually can be something other than dodge! I just need some ideas. On the pic I posted do you think that is wood or metal?
Thanks Rod

Is there no one that has changed the rear compartment? I was hoping to see other ideas and some better pics. It doesn't have to be a Dart, it actually can be something other than dodge! I just need some ideas. On the pic I posted do you think that is wood or metal?
Thanks Rod

Most cars with eliminated back seats are dedicated race cars and do nothing but take the rear seat out and sometimes, I've seen them put a piece of sheet aluminum where the upright part of the seat goes.

if it were me, I would buy a piece of particle board or MDF and trim it down to fit exactly in the spot where the back rest of the old seat would sit
then I would install a couple off carriage bolts in the baord and drill holes through the body so I can mount it
lastly I would upholster it in a way it matches the rest of the car

maybe, just maybe cut out a few holes for some 12 inch subwoofers

(that's the way I had the backseat in my old opel

Dukeboy makes a good point though, you might get a better response in the racers section

if it were me, I would buy a piece of particle board or MDF and trim it down to fit exactly in the spot where the back rest of the old seat would sit
then I would install a couple off carriage bolts in the baord and drill holes through the body so I can mount it
lastly I would upholster it in a way it matches the rest of the car

maybe, just maybe cut out a few holes for some 12 inch subwoofers

(that's the way I had the backseat in my old opel

Dukeboy makes a good point though, you might get a better response in the racers section
:eek:ops: no pics,(phone pics only) mine is a 68 form S barracuda, the seat arrangement was very easy to do , altho time consuming trying to figure it out, and finding the suitable stuff to do it. I found some black plastic coated speaker board that looked like cardboard, 1/8" thick to use as a base for black speaker box mat`l that is cheap and liteweight, very easy to work w/. looks pretty darn good, no one will be back there due to the roll bar, except to clean the big back glass.---bob :coffee2:

If your building something to race, I believe you have
to have a solid partition of some sort between the trunk
and the passenger compartment.

sorry but I too have no pics, but like lots of us are familiar with the process. racer types probably prefer the aluminum. I like the guys speaker board stuff. I have considered leaving out the back seat due to cost of upholstery and I have 4-5 cars that need it all! LOL

problem I would have I storing the seat cores. they take up a lot of room and make nice place for critters to make home!!

if I have local upholstery guy do the fronts, I will get enough material for the rears and hopefully I can have both completed one day.

I too don't have a good picture of my 64 Dart rear seat removal.I removed all the seat brackets from the floor and backrest area. Went to Lowes and got 3 sheets of aluminum and made the package tray and down to the floor.Then sprayed the complete area with truck bed liner. The car was built to be a rat so that is how I left it.You may check and have a upholstery shop rug the area too.I have also seen it in fabric and vinyl to match the front seat cover pattern.

Attachments

• IMG_2004.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 270
I would say one important thing to consider is attaching whatever you use back there so there is NO rattle. one thing about it. keep the back seat and you or someone else can always put it back original.

I did it this way at my 1964 Dart

CIMG7795.JPG

With a set of cheap Seat Marbella seats and two pieces of aluminum it looked this way

CIMG8717.jpg

You can install a removable cross bar between the hoops. That will take care of any issues getting in or out of the back and keeps it more factory looking when you don't remove the back seat.

It's not a very good picture but this is the back of my Duster. Aluminum panel separates the trunk from the back seat area with vinyl covering the package shelf and down to where the carpet starts. Carpet covers the wheel tubs.

View attachment IMG_4142.jpg

I do know I have to put a separater between the trunk and rear compartment but I dont want that to be what is seen from the interior compartment. I do like the carpet that a 1967cuda showed but my carpet is red and might be hard to match even tho its new. Also my mini tub isnt a square flat surface so it wouldnt lay as nice as those nice tubes he has! Great Idea to use the back drop for speaker area. Its amazing that no one has been able to show a good pic of their work! The reason that I didnt post this in the racing section is because I was hoping to find something a little better finished off than just the aluminum or metal that racers do. Hopefully a few more will chime in.
Thanks Rod

for a non racer deal, 1967 cuda's deal is the way to go. like you say, dealing with the wheel tubes will be the biggest challenge. since you don't have molded carpet for this a rea, seems like the way to attempt this is cutting slots in the carpet so it will mold and bend.\ I would pick up some carpet remnents and just work ay it. 3M SUPER adhesive works good.

-
Back