Back to Basics....Project...1976 Dart Lite

-

Backtobasics

Reaction score
Back to basics equals a return to home base. Back to roots.

This project is precisely that....I am going back.

From the time I was 5 to 15 the family's daily driver was a 1974 Dodge Dart Sport, BROWN, black vinyl interior (killer in summer with no A/C). It was a 360 with a 4 speed, BENCH SEAT, power brakes, MANUAL steering car. I remember the 3 spoke steering wheel, that was kind of oblong inbetwen the spokes of the wheel.
It was a great driver, and mom's reason for getting rid of it was I was about to start driving, and I was in my early stages of my automotive addiction. I was sure I could handle it, she was not so sure. I am grown enough now to issue the following statement.......She was right.

In my angst, I swore that if I ever found the car, I would buy it back and own it.

THIS is NOT that car.

I used to have a duplicate title to that car, and tried to search for it. I could not find it. I fear it has gone to the great highway in the sky.

But, I found this car.
It's brown.
It is a manual (3 speed currently, 4 speed later)
It has a black bench seat
It has manual steering
It has the 3 spoke steering wheel.

So here it is...I am heading Back to Basics. I am returning home. I am picking the car up on Saturday, Jan 26th. I am going to clean it up, legalize it, and drive it over to mom, so she can take it for a spin.

I am going to document the hell out of it, every step of the way.

Intro pictures, from the Ebay auction. I will add more indepth as I go. If these go away I will put them into my photobucket.

648b_1.JPG

Required bench seat and floor shifter...
9f63_1.JPG

This car is a Dart Lite :-D
b622_1.JPG

Ha, small world, I was bidding on that car also. If that car is a Dart lite it should have a 4 spd with O/D. Looked like a nice car though.

So you cost me money huh?
His reserve was orignally 1995.00, but he lowered it somewhere along the way. Out of respect, I bid up to his original reserve.

I agree about the 4spd OD. I will check the plate out when I get it. Either way, to make this car as close to my old car, it needs to have a 360, so the 4speed OD with SB bellhousing is going with me.
It will likely get a 408 with ported Magnum heads, with the 4speed OD and 8 3/4 with 3.23....

I will have pictures when I pick it up.

congratulations!!
Glad that dart found a good home, Keep us updated.

Cool...sounds close enough to the original. What does a Dart Lite have/not have?

Dart Lite = Feather Duster.

Alum substructure under hood and trunk....Alum bumper brackets...alum case on 4speed OD transmission, alum intake manifold (/6 1bbl).

This one appears to be as bare as they come:
No ac
manual steering
manual drum brakes
3 speed.

Progress so far:
  • Full tune up, plugs, cap and rotor, plug wires
  • valve cover gasket
  • oil change
  • thermostat and gasket

Checked out brakes, and all the drum and hardware look great. The brake hoses were SHOT. So while I swapped out the brakes hoses, and a hard line that didnt survive the swap, my buddy changed out the tuen up and top end stuff. We also tried to bleed the brakes, only to find the driverside wheel cylinder bleeder screw was broken off. So we bled at the hose joint, and got it home.

While the valve cover was off, we adjusted the rocker arms because it was a symphony of mal-adjustment for the rockers.

Today, I tried to get it moving, so I could replace the wheel cylinder, and it would not start.
Spark...Check (ouch)
Fuel....nope. In the process of it sitting for a week (too cold to work on it) the fuel pump died.....Damn.

Found the only store in the KC metro area that had a pump, and got it installed. Yes, it starts.

Damn, one of the valves was too tight. It would not idle for crap. I pulled the valve cover to find this: (remember, I was doing brakes while he tune and valve covers)

Picture002.jpg

WOOF.

I got the valves adjusted, it quieted down a lot. While I have the valve cover off, I am going to give it, and the air cleaner a coat of paint.

Here are some additional shots, for now. The interior "checker pattern" is awful. I will be looking for some replacement inner panels at some point.
Picture001.jpg

Picture005.jpg

Under the rear is the HITCH FROM HELL. This SOMBITCH is welded to the frame, bumpers, an had re-inforcements. I could haul a horse trailer with this thing......
Picture007.jpg

Picture008.jpg

Picture011.jpg

Damn, that is one hell of a hitch. Class 5 for sure!! Nice car to start with, looks pretty solid

Update:

Brakes are done. All new wheel cylinders. New master cylinder, and front brake hoses. Braking feels good. Once I get the painted grill re-installed, and insurance sends me a card, it goes out on the road!!

New pictures coming soon!

It's amazing how they welded that thing to the bumper! That's gonna suck trying to remove that thing...sucks to be you! :scratch:

Bah, I kinda like the hitch. Maybe throw a trailer ball on there, make people think I actually tow with it.... "Bumper Protection Option"

Update​

Made some excellent progress tonight. I got the workbench cleared off, and pulled the 8 3/4 for cleanup. I took a wire wheel in hand grinder, and wire brushed everything, and went a little further on the center section. I am nost sure if I am going to do any accent on the center or not....
Opinions?

Before

Picture074.jpg

Picture070.jpg

Picture069.jpg

After
Picture064.jpg

Picture066.jpg

Picture065.jpg

Updates on the grill progress.

I removed the grill with the intention of a quick resto. I couldn't decide on color code.

I posted here to get input. http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=33911

I decided to go a different direction. I opted to go flat black, but then detail the "fins" silver, so it was a little closer to stock. The SHINY silver was too much, even though it was close to stock. The darker silver looked bronze against the brown paint.

In going with the flat black, with the silver ends, it very much resembles a billet grille from a pickup or SUV. I also silver trimmed the lines in the headligh surrounds, to continue the lines from side to side.

Here was starting point:
Picture030.jpg

Here is finished:
Picture095.jpg

In process:

Picture096.jpg

Picture099.jpg

Here are the headlight surrounds

Picture103.jpg

Wow thats pretty neat, I really like that!
Good idea!
You really spiced up the grille in a unique way.
I'm interested to see it installed.

My chassis dyno guy was selling a Dart Lite last year so I went to the shop to check it out and take it for a spin slant 6 with a 4 speed it was pretty cool. The hood was really lite. Jysnflem

How did you paint fine lines like that? Did you use a brush or one of those paint pens? Looks good!

P.S. give me your 8 3/4!!

I used 2 of the paint pens. On was fine point, the other was broad flat tip. Broad tip was used on fins, fine point used on the "pseudo" fins around headlight buckets.

Picture086.jpg

Update​

Since it is running and stopping consistantly now, I have decided to start to attack other projects.

First to go was doors. Gears and latches needed to be greased badly. Hinges are still squeaky. Since the interior is where I spend the time, the door panels had to be fixed. It came with a home recovered disco square theme that was TACKY. This looked straight out of the 70's.

Here is the before pictures:
Picture122.jpg

Picture109.jpg

Here is the recovering in process:
Picture105.jpg

Picture113.jpg

Dodge in the Glue:
Picture115.jpg

Installed on the vehicle:
Picture118.jpg

I used black vinyl from the local fabric store, plus a foam "batting" (that is what the wife called it) plus a 2 cans of adhesive.

I used stainless screws, with a shouldered washer (stainless) from the local hardware store. I wanted black, but they did not have enough. Stainless will have to do. Maybe I can find some stainless decorative spears to add later.
Total outlay for fasteners, fabric, screws is just about 60.00 I have the other 3 to do, but I wanted to get one knocked out first, to see what I might need to complete the job.

-
Back