Backfire from exhaust

-

GeorgeGerhard

Reaction score
Hi All
I took the Dart out for a ride today to get a wheel alignment. All was good
drove on the highway, streets all good
Later on I go to get gas and it starts to backfire from the exhaust.
Its a 440 with a holley 750
Any ideas???

thank you
George

If you ever got the timing correct, now time to look at the carb. I never saw that you got the timing correct.

Hi Green1
I thought I got it right, it appeared to be running better, then all of a sudden the backfire, or missfire through the exhaust.
thanks
George

We have had people on here post and post again over several months about timing/carb/tuning issues…….. Then finally someone asks….. "Do you have a timing light?" Followed with a "No" reply…….

Like Green1 said. You need to make sure the thing is tuned correctly.

Some must haves if you have an old car.

Timing light.
Vacuum gauge.
Dwell meter if you are still running points
Spark plug gapping tool

I bought a new timing light at Sears the other day
I have a vacuum gage, thats how I adjusted the carb

thanks
George

Backfiring through the exhaust could be from a broken insulator on a sparkplug. How do I know??? My brother had a 340 Challenger that backfired through the exhaust. Long story short, he changed the timing chain, retimed it, carb checked, ran through a check on everything, still couldn't find the problem. Never changed the sparkplugs because they were new. Found one with a cracked insulator that was misfiring. $2.00 (or $200.00) later, problem solved!!! Just sayin'!!! Geof

My 440 in my 69 fastback backfires when the plug wires get burnt through, which isn't that uncommon with 2 inch headers.
Rod

Number 3 spark plug wire came loose, I guess I did not push it on the plug enough
thank you
George

-
Back