backfiring through carb

-

CUDAGUY

aka Prince Valiant
Reaction score
trying to get my Dart running. I had it running but it was missing heavily and no matter what I did it would not get any better. Now Ive messed with it so much that I cant get it to fire again. Ive been having issues with the multiple manuals Im using....none of them seem to have the same procedure for installing and timing the distributor. It is also backfiring through the carb.

question one
any suggestions for a good manual?

question two
what is the correct /6 firing order (my manuals differ with this too)

question three
any issues using a 75 motor/balancer and a 64 points dizzy?

well what will screw you is if the timing cover is different than the balancer... but no points works

1-5-3-6-2-4 (cw i think)

put #1 at TDC on compression and see where the dizzy is pointing... should be lower right, 5 o clock or so...

factory service mans are the only way to go...

nevermind......wound up totally ignoring any manuals and used the firing order in 2/3 of the manuals.....everthing was 120* off. purrs like a small tiger now.

Im so excited! Ive never had this car moving under its own power! the 2.25" exhaust and turbo muffler sound NIIIIIICE!

1. Is this a point type distributor?
2. Is the gap ok? .018 to .020 I think! Dwell meter about 40 to 45 degrees [running...thats the problem!]
3. Timing @ idle: TDC to 5 degrees BTDC...10 degrees if you can get away w/it!
4. Plugs are now fouled out...black as can be! Hence the reason for the back fire
5. When you get the engine running and things close, check the voltage @ the coil positive, it should be between 9 and 10.5 [engine running @ idle] If the voltage is too low, the coil will not produce a sufficient spark...especially if the points are not making good contact/ground. Coil saturation can only occur if the voltage is sufficient/ground is good and dwell is w/in specs!
Good luck.

Attachments

• rob tuning 65 in house garage 2006.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 245
  • 65 rear side view summer 2008.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 247
yes its points, gap set to .020", I have no idea what the timing is at but it allows it to idle....I will check it tomorrow.

coil is hot-wired....waiting on new cylinder/switch/keys.

once I figured out what the TDC mark was it was a breeze.....fired right up

thanks for the input though:cheers:

-
Back