Backing Plate

-

olddman

Reaction score
Have a 1965 Dart GT that I had to pull the differential out. Saw that the wheel cylinders are leaking and noticed on tear down that the wear pads that the lower part of the brake shoes ride on are looking worn. There is a ridge that you can feel. Is there a way to tell when to replace the backing plates? Can anyone tell me where to I can buy some backing plates?
Brakes are 10 1/2 x 2.
Is a 8 3/4 rear end.

You can file ( rotary file, grinder, dremel, etc ) to smooth the pads. Add a small amount of anti-seize or brake lube to the pads. (small amount). I've never seen or heard of anyone replacing the backing plates because the pads were worn.

Seems like I read had read something about pads can wear down over time and effect the way the brake shoe works. Just wondering!
And shoes are 10 x 1 3/4.
Thanks, guess there is no need to worry!!

What happens is once there is a groove or worn area , then the shoes will hang up and not return with the spring pressure when the wheel cylinder retracts.

Thanks for info. Could you tell me what an indication of the brake shoes not returning would be or how much of the wear pad is worn off to have repairs made? There is no grove, but I can feel a difference in height from the worn area to the original height of the wear pad. Am I looking for a specific difference like a 1/4 inch or just a gut feeling?

I've brazed up a few shoe pads as described, file it flat.
New shoes can "fall" over the edge, causing issues .
A small relief hasn't caused a problem, it's the heavily worn "taxi/police" hi milers that have a definite "step or shoulder", that needs attn.

-
Back