Backlash and Pinion depth question?

-

1972Dart

Reaction score
Does anyone know what a "reasonable price" is to get a rear dialed in and who should I look for to do the work? I have an 8 3/4 and I'm going to a full spool with new ring and pinion set up. Any suggestions or ideas to point me in the right direction is better then where I am now. Thanks

after doing it myself this year, i'd say the 375 i spent for new gears installed in 99 was QUITE excessive, if you figure 125 for the gears and 100 for the kit, that leaves 150 for the setup........i think a setup is worth 50 bucks

Did you do the install yourself with all the measurements and setting the backlash? My spool and gears just arrived today so now they need to find there way into my carrier. I've never done a gear swap and wonder how hard it is to do? Can't find any good directions online as of yet to judge difficulty with.

This depends, if the case you have already has a set of gears in it with a good set up then it's simply a matter of removing the pinion shim in the current set up and adjusting it for the new gear. The measurements are on the head of the pinion gear. For example one set may say 2.245 and the other set may say 2.242. This means the 2.242 set needs to be .003 less deep into the ring gear so you would simply subtract .003 from the shim used in the 2.245 set to arrive at the 2.242 installed depth. And don't think for a minute that .002 won't make a difference, it can.

Now if you have an empty case or perhaps a new aluminum one from MP or something like that then you either have to have the special tools to check and set the pinion depth or it's trial and error which means assembling and adjusting, disassembling and reassembling many times. Don't ask me how I know.

Either way if someone has the tools and knowledge to use them then I'd say $150 is a fair price. Or if someone doesn't have the tools but knows how to do it by trial and error (some tools are still required, like a press) then that is probably worth the money too.

Oh and this doesn't even touch pinion bearing preload, crush sleeves or the proper way to set carrier bearing preload and backlash.

If you find a really good shop,100-150 is normal,as the other way you are buying 300$+ for tools and a video to find out how its done?So is it worth it.mrmopartech

i see that point, but i already had required tools. so i suppose that if someone were starting without them, then yes, it would be worth more.

ThanX for the insight. I had everything done out of house and already got it back. I put the new rear in and have peace knowing it was done by someone with experience. Someday I would actually like to learn how to set everything myself.

-
Back