Backside of Instrument Cluster

-

Jim McLain

Reaction score
75 Dodge Dart Sport.

Removed my instrument cluster about 2-3 months ago to swap out the gages and change to LEDs. No it's time to reinstall it in the dash.

Problem - The 3 slots on the rear of the cluster. I know the voltage regulator wire goes in the center slot, but I can't find any lose wires that go into the other slots, and I don't remember actually removing any wires from those slots.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jim
Jacksonville, FL

Bit of a trick without pics, but I believe you are referring to the voltage limiter for the gauges. It's one assembly, plugs into all the slots at once.

upload_2019-2-25_17-30-20.jpeg

Sounds like you have only the noise cap'. Little round thingy with a single wire lead from it?
Yes that goes in the center female slot along with the limiters center male spade.

Yep. The one I have is the noise cap. I discovered the reason that I couldn't find the voltage limiter was because it was never on the instrument cluster when I bought the car, nor was it on the parts cluster I bought.

Thanks Demonic and RedFish for solving my mystery.

The noise cap is not critical. You can buy "universal" radio noise caps at the parts stores, or even replace it with something like a couple of parallel .001 or a .01 ufd disc ceramic, which you can solder across the appropriate terminals. You can follow the traces on the board to figure out where they lead

Don't know the best place to get them, a friendly local "ham" (I prefer amateur radio) operator, or other electronics hobbyiest. Last I knew, Mouser electronics had no minimum order, but it's easy to build up a few things like solder and heat shrink, terminals, etc you might need anyhow. Digikey is another possible sourse

Took this picture yesterday for other reasons. Will this help you thou?

20190221_185846.jpg

^^For the record what is the exact make/ year/ model of your cluster^^

If you need a voltage limiter I have a brand new one you can have. Got it from summit or rock auto... can’t remember which. I decided to switch to an aftermarket system instead of restoring the cluster.

1972. If you look in the upper right corner of the photo. I have a new volt meter I was getting ready to install.

I have been buying most of my electronic parts off Amazon now. Parts stores are about extinct.

The noise cap is not critical. You can buy "universal" radio noise caps at the parts stores, or even replace it with something like a couple of parallel .001 or a .01 ufd disc ceramic, which you can solder across the appropriate terminals. You can follow the traces on the board to figure out where they lead

Don't know the best place to get them, a friendly local "ham" (I prefer amateur radio) operator, or other electronics hobbyiest. Last I knew, Mouser electronics had no minimum order, but it's easy to build up a few things like solder and heat shrink, terminals, etc you might need anyhow. Digikey is another possible sourse

67Dart -
I don't need the cap. It's the bi-metal voltage limiter I need. I found it online at Advance Auto Parts for $33. I'll probably go by and order it tomorrow.

BTW - I am a "Ham" - KC4PPM.

My cluster is a 75 Dart Sport. I have the "Check EGR" light on my cluster. Is this the Rallye model dash or did the 75 just start adding that?

A story about "4 landers" from "back then............"

Back in the eighties---early nineties there was a bunch from "back there" used to get on 3898. They did NOT like "stoppers by." I don't remember names or calls anymore (KJ4CQ?) and one was named Wilke, "the chicken farmer."

ANYway, I remember one night they all got into this HUGE argument/ discussion about who could stack 100' of Rohn 25 tower sections the quickest, and argued for HOURS it seemed, about whether you were going to set the base section in concrete or not and whether that section should count in the total height for the "contest" I never laughed so hard in my life

And here it is.........
================================================================
Anyone have any good Stories to tell about HF?

"I remember 3898 as well in the early 90's. those guys were so funny. the only call I remember was ae4n, a guy named hugh. then in the late 90's early 2000's 3865 was active with w8ch
AE4N was Hugh Brunson. KB4OBJ Robert Mercer, KB4OEI Larry, Ne9v Larry (the pope), KJ4CQ Bob Crews, KA8TRL Hud, KJ8I Bill who ran the traders net, K4AVU Paul, and many others."
=================================================================

I spent about a year in "4 land", NAS Glynco GA, went to GCA RADAR school in a WWII blimp hanger. We had a ham club there, "of sorts" but the officer in charge (who I never saw or met) ran it like a dictator, ordered a bunch of Heathkit single band kits...........so he could put them together. I was on the air there, a couple of times. I think we had a Valiant, and don't remember the receiver at all.

I was very active in Navy ET-A school at Treasure Island CA, the club was K6NCG. There are photos on the www

Put up by an old friend back then, Bob Snyder

K6NCG - Treasure Island Radio Amateur Club 1969-1970

Another guy and me going up the 120' tower

Tower_001.jpg

Me at 20 years old in '68 on the tower

Hams_018.jpg

Later, after leaving Glynco GA RADAR school, I passed back down by TI on the way from home in N end of Idaho to NAS Miramar where I'd be for 4 years. Stopped by to see the "old gang." This was the 63 Chev 327 SS I bought, later traded it and some boot for the 69 RR my first Mopar

The loading coil on the rear is for a 5/8 wave 2M antenna fed by an 80W GE "TPL" (Transistorized Progress Line), unaffectionately known as a "toilet paper line." Had a dual triode? tetrode? in the PA for 80W output

Hams_011.jpg

-
Back