bad coil ground?? missing badly after moving coil

-

rigrunner

rigrunner
Reaction score
i recently installed a new intake and 4bbl carb on my 318 valiant. got it running but is not firing on all cylinders. no spark at all. at first it wouldnt crank so i ran a jumper to ground the coil housing and it will crank but its missing on 3 cylinder 2 on one head 1 on the other. would the coil not being grounded good cause this or could i have done something to the coil when i moved it. i had to raise the coil to clear the vacuum advance on the dizzy. all wires in correct order. im lost. PLEASE HELP :angry7::angry7::angry7::angry7:

i recently installed a new intake and 4bbl carb on my 318 valiant. got it running but is not firing on all cylinders. no spark at all. at first it wouldnt crank so i ran a jumper to ground the coil housing and it will crank but its missing on 3 cylinder 2 on one head 1 on the other. would the coil not being grounded good cause this or could i have done something to the coil when i moved it. i had to raise the coil to clear the vacuum advance on the dizzy. all wires in correct order. im lost. PLEASE HELP :angry7::angry7::angry7::angry7:
I SAY YES, others will view and say I`m a blithering idiot. try scraping a little paint off coil and inside bracket, inconspiciously. and bottom of bracket and bolt down tight. see if it works:clock: In my experience, mine would`nt start period. after backtracking testing everything for 2 days, I did as mentioned, and she fired right up. wtf

I SAY YES, others will view and say I`m a blithering idiot. try scraping a little paint off coil and inside bracket, inconspiciously. and bottom of bracket and bolt down tight. see if it works:clock: In my experience, mine would`nt start period. after backtracking testing everything for 2 days, I did as mentioned, and she fired right up. wtf

mine was that way first i ran a wire to the strap and to the battery and it fired up but now it missing im lost if it aint one thing its another

mine was that way first i ran a wire to the strap and to the battery and it fired up but now it missing im lost if it aint one thing its another
only thing else to suggest is to start cleaning all grounds, connections, etc. If electronic, make sure ecm is grounded good, no wires have any breaks/or have been pinched. inspect dizzy. also you could have gotten off a tooth if you pulled the dist. if dropped in properly you vac. cannister should`nt hit the coil. It could be so many things, and their is alot of threads on stuff like this, do a search, in the ignition forums, Bolt that coil down tight! try that first. good luck.

had absolutly no issues prior to this ill try again tommorow. im interested to see how this carb will do with my new cam

could my distributer not be grounded good i left it loose to get the timing set and havnt tightened it yet because the running issue

The coil body needs no ground. Positive in from run circuit; Negative to dist. That's it.

Check and clean the block to firewall ground. Add another. Ohm neg battery to the whole car. Grounds bad , do funky things...

make sure you don't have plug wires switched.

ground/resistance is what tells the coil when to fire.
otherwise the + wire is hot when ever the key is in run/start.

rechecked the wires for the 10th time alls good their it runs rougher at times then clears up a little then goes back to running rough. checked fire getting blue spark sometimes and none others i think next ill take all wires loose clean and tighten. the only thing i took loose other than the intake was the coil and dist. it almost has to be a bad ground or is there any chance the carb could be acting up

then check grounds and do a compression test on the offending.

make sure the cap is worth a toss, it might be corroded up on those terminals.

compressions good. ran fine when the fuel pump went bad so i decided to put the new used intake on i got and now this. hoping its just wiring:read2:

sucking oil into the runners maybe, does it clear up when rev'd?

no wont hardly rev at all when the rpms start to rise its boggs down and tries to pop a little in the exhaust. i was thing the poping was gas building up and the spurattic firing

coil time.

as the saturation time is less with the rise in rpm.. the coil cannot keep up with the juice

i really appreciate all the advice and input i will clean things up a bit if that doesnt help ill get a coil. so the coil couldve been weak to start with and with the bigger carb it just cant keep up?

replaced the coil w/ a new one this morning, and still no change. any other ideas? im totally lost. could it be the carb is bad i have a miss on 3 cylinders numbers 2 3 5. barely idles and wont rev up to even try and clear out.

switch the plugs around to see if you have a couple fouled/dead plugs.

otherwise you have ring seal issues or you dropped some crap on the cam and wasted a lobe or 3.

I mean...you say the compression is good, coil is new, cap checks out, wires check out, the only thing changed between when it ran good and started running like crap is the intake swap....

Old school, try this. Rev it by hand to about 2500 to 3000; Manually close the choke until it wants to die, then release the choke.
Water settles in the bottom of the carb, doing that creates enough vacuum to pull the water through the jets. Been there many times.

How about a major vaccum leak since you just gad the intake off, either the carb base or a misaligned intake gasket!

Old school, try this. Rev it by hand to about 2500 to 3000; Manually close the choke until it wants to die, then release the choke.
Water settles in the bottom of the carb, doing that creates enough vacuum to pull the water through the jets. Been there many times.

wont harly rev above an idle sounds like its strining to run and it will whistle through the carb. no chance of gas in oil didnt smell gassy and i changed it after putting on the fuel pump and intake. the carb i have has sat for quite a while also

-
Back