Bad Gas?

-

Shane

Reaction score
I stored my car for almost 4 months, with a full tank of 94 octance, and fuel stabalizer.

I have a holley double pumper which ran great before I stored it.

The weather is nice today, I jumped in the car, she fired right up. Then once it was warmed up and I turned the choke off, it would hesistate and back fire when I gave it gas from idle, then it revved and ran fine, went back to idle, and same thing..

I am hoping its the gas. Does this sound like bad gas, before I start to worry ?

Possibly, but with a full tank you would`nt think condensation would be in the picture? try a bottle of drygas. I`m not sure Stabil, is quite what it`s cracked up to be. I have an old lincoln welder that had old gas with stabil. I could`nt get it started, it used to fire first shot. after draining 5 gals. and refilling, threw in new points and checked plugs, for the heck of it. She fired right off. I believe it was fuel related. Does fuel stabilizer really work? We like to think so, dont we8) Oh yea, free 5 gal gas if anybody`s brave enough:cheers:

i should have explained better...at first I missed my car so much, I would be out there firing it up and letting it run..

then the family came over at christmas, and they all checked it out, so its not completely full anymore...

I will get out as much of the gas as i can, and fill it with new fresh gas and see!

thanks,

Shane

Oh i will try the dry gas stuff...

this is the first I have heard of it...

i am hoping thats all it is....nothing else has changed and the car never did this before being stored ...

Thanks,

Shane

It could be the gas itself. "Shelf life" of gas is about 90 days. After that it starts to break down. You cane tell when it has really broken down because it, when burned, will smell like laquer thinner. So if you exhaust smells funny the gas may be the problem. In some parts of the country they formlate the gas depending of anticipated outdoor temperatures. If you bought the gas when they were still selling the "summer" formula and are trying to run it in the winter there may be some problems. The fact that it's backfiring means the fuel is sitting in the intake. This could be due to the formulation problem. The car is also hesitating which usually is a accelerator pump issue. But again it could be the gas. My sugestion to you would be to try and run about half a tank off and refill it with fresh gas. If you need to run 94 octane than your car probably isn't stock. With the econony the way it is people will try to save where ever they can so 94 being more expensive that grade may not sell as quick and break down at a faster rate. When you buy more make sure the station sells the 94 on a regular basis so you get fresh gas.

very good points!

i am goin to use up most of my tank, and go looking for a sunaco station(here in canada, they are the only ones to have 94) that uses up 94 regularly....very good point you said...

I hope it does the trick

THANKS!

Shane

-
Back