Bad hesitation on acceleration...

-

Steves65

Reaction score
I took my 65 Vert /6 out last weekend and had terrible hesitation when I accelerate. I l tried letting it warm up for a while and that worked temporarily. After 10 minutes or so of driving it started hesitating a lot, kept dying, and I had to feather the gas the whole way home.

It's a 225 with a holley 1920. So far, checked my spark plugs they were only driven last season and were covered in soot. I cleaned them up. I tried adjusting the air/fuel mixture, but I'm not quite sure where to set it and haven't found a spot that has made much of a difference as I have continued to tweak it. Also tried adjusting idle screw, but no results either

Any help is appreciated!

What kind of choke do you have? Maybe it wasn't opened up all the way. Your plugs being covered in soot would mean you're running really rich (choke closed).

Thanks guys, I did put a new choke pull off on last year. Mine has the coil that sits in the manifold....so that could be a possibility. I haven't looked at the accelerator pump yet...and I filled the tank last winter but added stabill so that gas is probably from October

I guess the other thing is that it idles fine...I am only having this problem when I am driving...not sure if that makes a difference

Hey guys,

I had some time this weekend to get back on my vert...this time she wouldn't start at all...I found out my points were gone...so I am hoping that is it. Also not sure why, but I have 12 volts at the ballast resistor, but only 6 at the coil is that normal or should it be 12?

I found another thread here on converting to an electronic distributor so I am checking that out to see about switching

-
Back