Bad neutral safety switch ???

-

'70_Duster_340

Reaction score
If I turn the key to the start position, nothing happens, in any gear or park ('70 Duster 340, 727 trans) If the key is in the on position, I can jump the relay and it starts and runs ..

I put a voltage tester on the bottom yellow wire of the relay, and when my son turned the key, it lit up, so I'm guessing this rules out the ignition switch?

I took the wire next to it off (brown w/ yellow tracer) put a jumper on it and to a good ground and the car will start with the key, but in any gear.. Looked like that wire went down to the left side of the transmission and is part of a plug w/ 3 wires..I don't know what the other two wires are for.. I think this is the neutral safety switch ?? I removed the plug end, cleaned it up and all three terminals inside light up the voltage tester when turning the key to the start position...

I'd like to fix this the correct way and not by-pass the neutral safety switch... Can anyone help me here ???

Also, and this may or may not be related, but while removing an old tach on the steering column, a wire came loose near the fuse block, and I can't figure out what it's for.. It had a bare, stripped end and is dark green .. There's no voltage showing there, so I'm guessing it's a ground, but have no clue where it connected....

Really appreciate any help...

Thanks

Kenny

Neutral safety switch simply supplies a ground that activates the relay . That wire should be brown with yellow tracer, or one of the samller 2 anyway. Short it direct to ground and the relay should work (start even in drive).
As for that green wire under the dash , no clue here.

Neutral safety switch simply supplies a ground that activates the relay . That wire should be brown with yellow tracer, or one of the samller 2 anyway. Short it direct to ground and the relay should work (start even in drive).
As for that green wire under the dash , no clue here.

Thanks Red ... I got that part about grounding it, and it works, but I'm trying to figure out why this all of a sudden happened and don't want to circumvent the switch. Do you think I just need to get a new neutral safety switch ??

Thanks

Kenny

Pull the rubber connector off the safety switch and test the switch with a electrical tester. I can't remember which two of the three pins you run the test through. Maybe someone else can chime in or take a look in the shop manual.

I'd say the switch went bad ($#1+ happens). I straight wired the door switch on our washing machine just hours ago .
Gound the same wire at the neutral safety switch will rule out wiring harness etc.. Unless you're like me. If I jack it up and crawl under I'm gonna have a new switch in hand first.

I'd say the switch went bad ($#1+ happens). I straight wired the door switch on our washing machine just hours ago .
Gound the same wire at the neutral safety switch will rule out wiring harness etc.. Unless you're like me. If I jack it up and crawl under I'm gonna have a new switch in hand first.

We're from the same school Red ... The next time I pull that plug off I'm gonna throw a new switch in ... They're pretty cheap, and since it's been sitting in there for 30 years, it doesn't owe me anything ...

-Kenny

Middle prong on the switch is the ground for the starter relay so it's the one that should show zero ohms when the trans is in park or neutral. The 2 other prongs are for the backup lights.

Like many other items (especially electrical stuff) they just wear out. Replace it and you will be fine.

It was the switch .. picked one up at NAPA today, swapped it out and it works fine ... Thanks guys !!

Kenny

Thanks ... Yea, if every repair could be THIS easy !! The little plunger end that goes into the tranny was retracted like a scared turtle's head, stuck in its shell.. Now I gotta change a fusible link and bypass the amp gauge ... Damn, can't crawl up under that dash anymore like the good old days, w/o having a stiff neck for days .. LOL

Man ain't that the truth. I hate having to do anything under my dash. Good thing for Vicodins.

Thanks ... Yea, if every repair could be THIS easy !! The little plunger end that goes into the tranny was retracted like a scared turtle's head, stuck in its shell.. Now I gotta change a fusible link and bypass the amp gauge ... Damn, can't crawl up under that dash anymore like the good old days, w/o having a stiff neck for days .. LOL

You guys aren't getting old or something??:bootysha:
I'm wondering why I have to do all this stuff in steps now instead of crankin it out in a day.... Been trying to do this stuff with kidney stones... Good thing for hydrocodone!!!

You guys aren't getting old or something??:bootysha:
I'm wondering why I have to do all this stuff in steps now instead of crankin it out in a day.... Been trying to do this stuff with kidney stones... Good thing for hydrocodone!!!

Well I ain't old but not exactly young anymore either. Sometimes I feel 80 though. :toothy10:

Degenerative disc disease is what makes it rough with me. Got 3 discs badly worn right in the middle of my back. 2 bulging in the neck and 1 ruptured in the lower.

Them kidney stones are rough too. Had em a couple yrs back.

my NSS is bypassed, and i couldn't be happier! nothing like stalling out in bad traffic to make you appreciate the rolling start.

my NSS is bypassed, and i couldn't be happier! nothing like stalling out in bad traffic to make you appreciate the rolling start.

Buddy I just can't START enough of a rant to tell you how .....OK I'm gonna say it.....STUPID this move is.

There are MANY MANY documented cases of cars driving into things and people because of some failure of this nature. NO DRAG RACE entity will knowingly let you on the track without a NSS

I agree about crawling under the car... you need a real reason. To expand on this, if I drop something I look around for something else to pick up while I'm down there!

having it wired that way has saved my bacon many times. simple routine:

get in drivers' seat. put on seat belt. check brakes. visually check the lever is on park. hold brakes (just to be sure), start car.

conversely, park car, set lever, turn off key.

you'd have to be pretty out of it not to be able to remember that stuff. the key is simply getting in the car with the attitude that what can go wrong, will go wrong. and when it does, as it will, i am glad i have my bypass so i can bump her into a parking spot and deal with it. flat tow SUCKS.

-
Back