Bagged torsion bar set up?

-

JamesRR

Reaction score
Anyone seen an airbag set up on a torsion bar car? Curious if anyone has pics? Thanks guys.

J

For what purpose? Either the weight of the car will rest on the bar or not. The bag wouldn't be able to take it lower and anything above the ride height the t-bar is set to will only have the weight on the bag...

I'm guessing the OP means ditching the T-bars and somehow replacing them with air bags.

If you did a coil over conversion and used shockwave bags/shocks it would work. Never seen one yet but its doable.

I think if I was reading the air ride technologies site correctly they wanted you to just bolt shockwaves in and leave the torsion bars in place to offset the load a bit. kinda scared me because they did not talk about beefing up the top shock area but figured that was why they wanted you to leave the bars in there at a "loose" setting.

Guess you can do anything with airs bags yet not improve the ride to the point where the ride is acceptable or cornering is improved...

There is a member on here with the alterk and streetlynx setup with air bags all four corners. Looks pretty nice!

The Demon in Popular Hot Rodding awhile back used an AlterK and StreetLynx with shockwave bags.

0903phr_13_z+1971_dodge_demon+front_view.jpg

Article is here
http://www.popularhotrodding.com/features/0903phr_1971_dodge_demon/

As far as air bags with torsion bars, there really isn't a good way to do it. Just not how torsion bar suspensions work.

-
Back