Ball joint socket size and where to purchase?

-
I looked in an old MAC catalog I have. We used to have 3 sizes if I remember but in this one I only see 2. 2002 catalog.
20240905_113922.jpg

Last edited:
Yep which equals 1 52/64......7/64 difference, call that 1/8" difference. I'll wait to see an actual measure on the Proto.
Yeah....I dug my 1 59/64 socket out of the bottom of the tool box and tried it on that small ball joint in the pic. It was sloppy as all get out, and I remembered your analogy of the Ho on payday and busted out laughing! Then I thought about it too much and felt kinda dirty and went and washed my hands!

:rofl:

Lol, mission accomplished, welcome to my psychosis :lol:
Yeah....I dug my 1 59/64 socket out of the bottom of the tool box and tried it on that small ball joint in the pic. It was sloppy as all get out, and I remembered your analogy of the Ho on payday and busted out laughing! Then I thought about it too much and felt kinda dirty and went and washed my hands!

:rofl:

I found a 2 1/8" socket and a lot of 2 9/64". 2 8/64 is 2 1/8". WTF?
Look for brands like OTC, Snap On, Mac, Ares, Proto (same as MAC), Performance Tool, CTA Tools, OEM Tools, and Specialty Products all have them.

Posted earlier from @S'cuder. Here's one from Mancini 1.80.
Why TF can't any other mfg post dimensions?
1 am NOT gonna be a statistic and try to remove or install a ball joint to 125.
So @S'cuder proved my theory of 3 sizes. Thank you!

IMG_20230319_145046603~2.jpg

This explanation of ball joint socket sizes may help.
Back in the 20th century, there were 3 socket sizes for 3 different ball joints.
Let's refer to them as small, medium and large.
We can also use Moog part numbers to distinguish which socket fits each ball joint.
The information provided in the tool catalogs can be confusing.
The tool companies used fractional sizes to describe their sockets. As you will see some companies used 64ths,32nds 16th etc. regarding the dimensions of their sockets.

Moog K704 used from 1960 thru 1972 small ball joint uses the following sockets by Snap On, Mac and Proto.
Snap On S6302A - 1 51/64
Mac SC52- 1 25/32
Proto 6549L- 1 3/4

Moog K772 used from 1973 thru 1976 medium ball joint
Snap On S9365B- 1 59/64
Mac SC29- 1 29/32
Proto 6550- 1 7/8

Moog K778 used on Chrysler Imperials and Dodge trucks large ball joint
Snap On S9479A- 2 3/16
Mac SC30-2 1/8
Proto 6551- 2 1/8

All of these dimensions came from Snap On, Mac and Proto tool catalogs from the 1980's and 90's.
The problem is the tool companies were giving approximate fractional sizes.
You would have to use a digital caliper which read in decimals to get a precise dimension of each socket.
If you were to measure all three sockets listed earlier for the small ball joint, they would all be the same within .001 to .002 inches.
Because of the difficulty of finding Miller brand sockets, they were left out.
All of these made in USA sockets can be found on eBay for reasonable prices.
By the way Snap On still makes the medium size socket and the current price is $128.00.

Late to the party. I could never figure out why the ball joints were designed with such a odd size on the flats. What were they thinking? :BangHead: :BangHead: :lol: 1 59/64" ??? WTF
If you bump that up by 1/64" you have 1-60/64 which becomes 1-15/16. THAT would have made sense.

I have seen people use a pipe wrench and a 4' pipe on the end. I also saw a GM guy press them out. Oops!
I have done it with a big pipe wrench. It worked fine.
I bet that at least 75% of all front end shops would press them in if you took them the control arms and new ball joints and just asked to have them "installed".

I have done it with a big pipe wrench. It worked fine.
I bet that at least 75% of all front end shops would press them in if you took them the control arms and new ball joints and just asked to have them "installed".
Hey! I would have had the same “chimp” moment, as @RustyRatRod would say, had I not joined this group and found healthy direction and education with all of you fine, young, experienced individuals… I’d be at my press right now scratchin my head with chimp thoughts and makin chimp noises haha…

the proto worked well for us (apologies to @4spdragtop for not getting the measurements sooner but looks like @toolmanmike and the others here saved the day!) my daughter and I got the control arms off tonight as well! Off for a spa day tomorrow with some sand blasting and paint! Thanks again everyone here for walking me through the process! Happy wrenching!

IMG_9861.jpeg

IMG_9856.jpeg

BINGO! Thank you for taking the time to post that, so 60-72 is NOT(for emphasis) 1 59/64 lol that has been mentioned here. For arguments sake, it's 1 25/32.
3 pages later :lol:
Thanks @townsend
This explanation of ball joint socket sizes may help.
Back in the 20th century, there were 3 socket sizes for 3 different ball joints.
Let's refer to them as small, medium and large.
We can also use Moog part numbers to distinguish which socket fits each ball joint.
The information provided in the tool catalogs can be confusing.
The tool companies used fractional sizes to describe their sockets. As you will see some companies used 64ths,32nds 16th etc. regarding the dimensions of their sockets.

Moog K704 used from 1960 thru 1972 small ball joint uses the following sockets by Snap On, Mac and Proto.
Snap On S6302A - 1 51/64
Mac SC52- 1 25/32
Proto 6549L- 1 3/4

Moog K772 used from 1973 thru 1976 medium ball joint
Snap On S9365B- 1 59/64
Mac SC29- 1 29/32
Proto 6550- 1 7/8

Moog K778 used on Chrysler Imperials and Dodge trucks large ball joint
Snap On S9479A- 2 3/16
Mac SC30-2 1/8
Proto 6551- 2 1/8

All of these dimensions came from Snap On, Mac and Proto tool catalogs from the 1980's and 90's.
The problem is the tool companies were giving approximate fractional sizes.
You would have to use a digital caliper which read in decimals to get a precise dimension of each socket.
If you were to measure all three sockets listed earlier for the small ball joint, they would all be the same within .001 to .002 inches.
Because of the difficulty of finding Miller brand sockets, they were left out.
All of these made in USA sockets can be found on eBay for reasonable prices.
By the way Snap On still makes the medium size socket and the current price is $128.00.

-
Back