ball joints help

-

snowcrow

2 Time dart owner
Reaction score
Every day I'm learning new stuff about my car and this week I want to learn how to replace all my ball joints. I need to replace them asap so I can get an alignment too and put my new 15x7s on. I lost my factory manual and had a free one for a 73 at some point but don't remember where I got it.

Every day I'm learning new stuff about my car and this week I want to learn how to replace all my ball joints. I need to replace them asap so I can get an alignment too and put my new 15x7s on. I lost my factory manual and had a free one for a 73 at some point but don't remember where I got it.

What kind of questions do you have?
I'm getting ready to do a full suspension rebuild (whenever the parts arrive...), on my Scamp.

There are a lot of good things discussed here:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=295120

Well I'm curious before I even start, is it possible to do them all in one day?

Yes if you do just the ball joints.

But if you're doing those, you may as well put new bushings in the control arms. That may take longer if you have to bring them to a machine shop...

Are you referring to upper or lower or both or all four????

Upper and lower ball joints. I just want to do the ball joints for now so I can get my alignment at least.

If you look on summit, they have 3 types. 2 of them are 3/4 drive, the other is 1/2 drive (made by ProForged).
I bought the 1/2 drive socket and it fits perfect on my 74 Scamp

1 5/16 ball joint socket I would use a impact gun if you can I used a ratchet and at least for me its to hard to get a good grip it keeps slipping I snap a ratchet in my hand and man did that hurt the uppers are really Really in there

When I did my upper ball joints, I sprayed the threads in the a arm for a few days with penetrating oil. Then got a big pipe wrench and a torch and worked them loose. There is a socket that's special for this job and makes it so much easier. But I've only done two sets of ball joints and the pipe wren h worked both times. Lower ball joints are easy as cake though.
You have to take your wheel off, then take the caliper off, then the wheel bearing nut followed by the bearings and then the rotor. You will see the bolts that hold the Balljoint to the spindle. I'm sure you have the rest figured out. Don't forget to grease them after you install them. They aren't always sufficiently greased from the manufacturer if at all.

I just did mien, 65 valiant. the uppers were a pain, because I removed the whole assy and replaced the bushings as well. my fasteners were 3/4''. lube torch , lots of hammering . my upper ball joint was a threaded type. you might be able to just unscrew it after separating with a pickle fork.my bushings seemed tight with no play, but after removing them I found quite a bit of wear, and had to replace one of the eccentric bolts, as it was grooved.

I have replaced dozens of those. You almost have to leave the arm on the car, and fully installed.
-You will need the special socket, a huge Johnson bar, or at least the biggest you can find, and an appropriately sized thickwall pipe of about 3 to 4 ft long.
-If youre working on the floor, jack the front up and put it on safety stands. Secure the car from any fore/aft movement.This means Park,Parking brake, wheels blocked, the whole nine yards.Its imperative that the car not be able to move.If it falls off the stand, its taking your legs with it. If you can find something to slide under the K-frame, so much the better.Make sure its strong enough to support the weight of the car.
-The very First thing to do is to back off the T-bar adjusters some.I count the turns and write it down.Then,I loosen the castle nut on the upper bj a few turns, and separate the tapered pin from its socket.If you leave a bit of tension on the T-bar it will help to pull that joint apart.Then back off the adjuster all the way, and run the nut back up, finger-tight.
-Start on the drivers side. Sit down, get comfortable. Assemble your equipment, install it on the joint with the pipe at a right angle to the centerline of the car, or slightly forward of. Slide your body forward and plant your feet somewhere on the frame or some sturdy structure. Make sure theres something soft behind you. NOT the bare concrete floor. Now get ready to pull. Dont let the socket slip. If your bar slips you might get it in the teeth, so be careful.Get set. If the socket slips you are going to flip over backwards, so the pillows are there,right? Ok, pull.No really pull. no, REALLY pull.Really, really pull. You did soak it in penetrant for a day or two,right? You didnt? Oh well, you better do that then. See you in a couple of days.
-All righty then, lets try it again.
If you try to take it apart dry, you will very likely seize up the works.So make sure its had plenty of soak-time, and that the penetrant has actually gone into the threads and not into the accumulated gunk that may be up there. If/when the bj breaks loose, immediately hit it with more penetrant.And continue that after every small movement.The penetrant is going to act as a coolant as well as a lubricant. If it breaks free, dont be in a hurry to get it out.After every 1/4 turn spray it down, reposition the tool, and pull. If it gets hard again at any time it may be galling, so stop! Dont power through it, you will turn the arm into scrapmetal.Spray it and walk away.Take five. Ok. Spray it again.Get set up. this time tighten it just a bit. maybe 1/8 turn.If it moves ok, then lets go loose again. If it passes through the formerly tight area you can continue. And so on until either A)it becomes easy to turn, or B)IT jams up solid again. Do not turn it more than a couple of turns with it fully assembled.If you go too far the weight of all the assembled components will want to twist the bj in its threads, also jamming it up.So if you think its coming apart ok, then just stop.Go to the other side, and work on it.If the other side also comes out a couple of turns, then you can take every thing apart, both sides. There is a reason I recommend you to do it this way.
-But now, suppose one of those bjs jams up solid.You have two choices. The first is to break out the torch. If you or a friend,are/is skilled at the use of this tool,you can use it to expand the arm away from the bj, and in this way loosen it. The second is to reassemble every thing and take it to your favorite shop and have someone else do it.Now you see why nothing is really apart yet. Just secure those castle nuts,crank up the T-bars, install the wheels and go.
-If you are doing just the upper bjs, you dont actually have to disassemble anything else.If you are doing the lowers as well, then remove the calipers and securely hang them up in such a way as not to stress the hoses.Then separate the tierod and strip the rest off.
-And there hangs the lower bj. this one is pie.Spin the nut off.Support the arm from below, on like another stand or something substantial that will not move or bounce.Grab your bfh and line er up. Kabam. One good shot with a 2.5pounder and its laying on the floor.Try not to smash the fender on the backstroke.A pickle-fork works too.Or an air-hammer.If it doesnt pop with a couple of hammer strokes, you better have a look at the stud.If you dont hit it square its possible to bend the pin, making removal all the more difficult.So reassess you technique, and wail on it.
Tadaa! Now can begin the reassy.Unless you want to replace the bushings too. Another post?

You have received some excellent advice. That is why I love this forum. Let me give you some more. In my opinion, if you are going to go to the trouble of replacing all 4 ball joints, it would REALLY make sense to replace everything else at the same time. If you can't, that is understandable, but if you can, do it all at once. Clean and paint everything while you are at it. Plus, if you eventually replace CA bushings, tie rod ends, etc, you'll have to pay for another alignment. Just food for thought.

I'm very impressed with all the input! Thanks everyone!!! I happened to have the socket laying around in my father in laws tool set! Passenger side upper came off like cake with it, the driver side... Not so much. Long story short, we took the upper arm out, welded a nut to the top of the ball joint and screwed it out. Everything else was SUPER simple! Now I just have to get my alignment cause my car is pulling BAD to the point that my driver side tire is chirping on slick road surfaces at any speed!!! (guessing the toe is jacked up)

I've had luck aligning my wheels at home on jack stands. I put a thumb tack in each tire then put both thumb tacks in the front by spinning the tires forward and measure the distance between them and then roll the tires backwards and measure the distance again. The goal is to get the same measurment. I've gotten it within a 1/8 of an inch I drove the car like that for 2 years and I never had strange tire wear. But all I did was replace tie rod ends not bushings.

Yeah, I do my own alignments too, got tired of paying someone for mis-alignments and scratches. I have an old Tri-Anguliner gauge for checking caster/camber and just use a tape measurer to measure the toe setting. Pretty easy once you get the knack. Can't emphasize enough it's best to replace all the worn out stuff at once to avoid having to re-align the vehicle every time you piece in another new part. Check your pitman arm, they are high wear items, more so than the ball joints in my experience with this type of car.

Got the alignment done, sure enough it was the toe that was completely jacked up! The tires wore so bad that they rode like old roller blade wheels!! (worn on the inside and like new on the outer side) one of the tires got down to the steel!! So my next step is tightening the steering gear and hoping that fixes the play but I also need all new bushings. Anyone know how to tighten the steering gear? And which bushings I can do on my own without a machine?

-
Back