Ballast and msd

-

SB69GTS

Reaction score
Hey guys ..need some help wiring the engine bay .... I have a 69 dart but picked up a new harness ... everything seems right and is set up for a electronic ignition. The new ready to run msd dizzy does not require a external box and the ballast resister should not be used. Questions are ... I have a taped together wire run that has four wires. They come out in 2 pairs with slip on connectors. I believe they are for the ballast resister ...the one pair that runs into a single slip on connector is coloured Solid Blue and solid Brown wire, the other pair is Lite Blue/yellow stripe and a Lite Blue/Dark Blue stripe ...also going into one slip on female tab. Can I just leave them or do they somehow have to be spliced or joined to keep the current going through.

Second Question ...since this harness is made for the dart with a upgrade to electronic ignition, what do I do with the 5-pin connector since the msd dizzy does not require the control box ...orange box.... to run.

Any help would be great as I am not that great at electrical ... my wiring diagram does not show electronic set-up and the guys at msd do not get into detail on what to do with the old wiring set-up ...they just tell you how the new set-up goes.

Have a test light?

Probe each of those connectors.

Put car in the run position and find the hot wire in the set.
Put key in start position and find hot.
Gang those two together and wire to the power input on your distributor.

The 5 pin connector, hide it.

DO NOT connect any other wire to the coil other than what the MSD instructions tell you to hook up.

Have a test light?

Probe each of those connectors.

Put car in the run position and find the hot wire in the set.
Put key in start position and find hot.
Gang those two together and wire to the power input on your distributor.

The 5 pin connector, hide it.

DO NOT connect any other wire to the coil other than what the MSD instructions tell you to hook up.

x2
Put car in the run position and find the hot wire in the set. should be Dark Blue
Put key in start position and find hot. should be Brown

-
Back