Ballast resistor-> 4 prong to 2 prong

-
Barbee, there isn't many mods to do to a mopar distributor depending on what you're already working with. Most mods are very simple. Let us know in another thread what you're working on and what your goals are and what exactly what you have and want to do.
I started thread asking of the where's and buts over in the ignition/electrical section. due to the construction of the base of the slant dist. the HEI cannot be attached to the bottom of it as can be done with the V8 dist.

I started thread asking of the where's and buts over in the ignition/electrical section. due to the construction of the base of the slant dist. the HEI cannot be attached to the bottom of it as can be done with the V8 dist.

In that case, mount the HEI unit to the fender. This is a much better location because as with all electronics, it is sensetive to heat. This is a primary reason why mopar lean burn malfunctioned so quickly. They mounted the electronics to the air cleaner. You are also able to purchase a heat sink designed to mount the HEI units backside to dissipate heat. I have a brand new HEI unit with the heat sink for sale If you're interested, PM me

In that case, mount the HEI unit to the fender.

That's mostly correct. If the fender is not a flat area, you need a heat sink for the HEI module. Try to mount it away from exhaust (V8). There's some articles around, I'd Google HEI, slant six etc

Just for the HEI / Mopar conversion, you actually don't need to mod the distributor AT ALL.

That's mostly correct. If the fender is not a flat area, you need a heat sink for the HEI module. Try to mount it away from exhaust (V8). There's some articles around, I'd Google HEI, slant six etc

Just for the HEI / Mopar conversion, you actually don't need to mod the distributor AT ALL.
I was referred to slantsix.org and article by Dan. since the HEI will go on a slant 62 Lancer, on the right fender flat top area and exh is on left side, I guess the heat shrink in not needed, or would be a good insurance anyway?
going back to the double type (4 prong) ballast, I have had some auto electrical guys on here state that those types ballasts have more correct OHM value??? if used I guess you simply hook wires to just the bottom or top terminals?
I still have 2 mopars running on Mopar electroncs, and probably will as long as have no real problems.

Any ballast resistor is only necessary for a non-12v coil, IMO. I've ran a 12v coil with any mopar ignition box without a resistor for years. Had a shitty msd coil leak on me once but other than that, it'll handle it. Dammit I hate msd. What an overpriced, trash ignition system.

......Now what about that box you pictured? You think it's bad? ?? .......BUT YOU still have not answered my question........What about the MSD box you showed?

Del, I will test it next week on the 73 road runner. Have been busy with Navy stuff. Thank you for all the help!

Thanks to everyone!

-
Back