Ballast Resistor

-

duals

Legandary Member
Legendary Member
Reaction score
Backed car out of garage and ran fine, went to move it back into garage and nothing, replaced the battery with new one and still nothing , no electrical at all ????? Any opinions ? 1974 Scamp with 318 electronic ignition

There is a service disconnect at the bulkhead connecter ( left side of firewall ). Beyond that is a fusible link and an amp gauge. Any of these can disconnect everything in the cab. Have fun

Starter relay would be my guess. Neutral saftey switch would be next. The gear selector must be firmly and positivly in park.

Starter relay by-pass starting.
With the car in park and the key in the run position, try a screwdriver between the 2 starter post contacts.

And yea, what he said. LOL A test light will tell you if it is a broken wire.

If there is no power at all (i.e. no lights, warning lights, horn, etc) check the battery connections, fusible link, starter relay battery connection, and the bulkhead plug. If those are ok, check the ammeter wires and terminals.
Thanks, Mark

Well doing everything I could think of doing I turned thr lights on and started playing with all the wires, when I grabbed the negative battery cable and moved it around on came the lights, try the starter and no lights, come to find out who ever did the negative cable with one of those clamp on ends never tightened the 2 bolts, the bolts could be taken out by hand, damn ! All is well now thanks to all.:cheers:

On a 1974, you have one more electrical gremlin lurking - the dreaded seatbelt sarter interock. If that goes bad, you have lights, radio, but no crank. It will start with the relay jump. I by-passed the one on my Charger for that very problem. Took 3 days of hunting and cussin!!! LOL I think the module was behind the glove box on the Charger.

An intermittent ground like that will kill the ignition module.
Glad you found it.
Happy moparing

-
Back