"BAND" for Life

-

LH23H2R

Reaction score
I apologise if this is a redundant thread ; an issue that's been addressed ad infinium :clock: ...

Band Adjustments : 904-LA with a Trans-Go improver kit
( TF-1 , iirc ) , ~30,000 since it was rebuilt ( steels , frictions , high-gear band , new stock stall-speed converter ;
pretty basic ) , and about ~8,000 since I drained its fluid via the pan ( 4qts ) and replaced the filtre .

Anyhow ... I figured with 30,000 on it , that a band adjustment was in order ; however , I cannot recall :

- where the adjusters are located
- what are good , performance-oriented tightening specs

While the Trans-Go definitely helped a lot , I believe that the builder set the bands at stock ( read : soft ) specs .

Granted , this 904 is behind a stock 318 , and followed by a 2.71 gear ; I just despise mediocre shifts , especially at uphill-on-ramps-to-uphill-travel-lanes acceleration speeds :angry7:.

Anyhow ... I'd appreciate some feedback on this deal ; some recommendations on tightening specs , and where the hell the adjusters are located :read2: .

Thanks !

..............Front band adj is above the linkage on the drivers side........rear band is in the case..........fb adj to 2 turns.............rear same unless it is the double wrap band,.then 4 turns.............kim.......

The front band is the only band that has any affect at all on a shift and that's the 2nd gear shift. Unless it's pretty far out of adjustment it really doesn't affect the shift quality much. If you want a firmer shift you can try applying more throttle pressure. That is to say, extend the throttle pressure rod (kickdown rod at the carb) a turn at a time until you get to the point the shift speeds are too high for your liking. Also the Trans-go kit calls for a couple passages in the separator plate being drilled out (one hole for the 1-2 shift and the other for the 2-3 shift). It's possible the installer went conservative on the sizes he drilled the holes. If applying more throttle pressure doesn't do what you want you can always drop the valve body and pull it apart and drill out the holes a little more. You can also install a blocker rod under the accumulator for an even firmer 2nd gear shift.

Thanks to OldKimmer and Fishy68 !
The builder ( whom I chose because he uses Trans-Go products , aside from his high quality work ) told me he went -- as Fishy68 said -- conservative on the drilling .

It's quite nice to know that I don't have to wrestle with dropping the pan in order to adjust the front band , as I just changed the filtre and fluid ( fluid choice being a combo of Type "F" and Lucas' "Sure-Shift" [$$$] ) and don't want to 'waste' the new fluid .

I'll also try the line-pressure tweaks ; and hopefully , the combo of pressure adjustment(s) and tightening of the front band will help with high(er) RPM shift quality .

Thanks again for your suggestions and directions , guys !

-
Back