Bang while driving....

-

spl440

Everybody's Fool
Reaction score
Driving my old Toyota T100 today and BANG, sounded like a gunshot. Pulled over in the ditch to look at it and could not see anything majorly wrong by crawling underneath it. Drove home, about 7 miles, truck felt like one of the torsion bars let go, but both still there. When I got it back, into the shop and jacked it up, Looks like the left Torsion Bar adjusting bolt gave way, and I have a hole in the floor! I guess when it let go, the two parts left in opposite directions at a pretty good rate. $ 26.00 for new hardware, so not so bad. Any one else with a driving then Bang story?

I was driving on RT 15 at about 70 mph in my new ‘96 F150 truck years ago in the Fall in upstate PA when I heard a loud bang like that. I pulled over and couldn’t find anything. When I got home a couple of days later, there was a big dent on the inside of the bed of the truck and a spent shotgun slug rolling around in the back.

I guess someone missed a deer and I caught the slug.

Back around 1986/87, was driving my 71 B'cuda to pick up my girlfriend. Running down the 4 lane road at 50mph when out of nowhere, BANG! And the car died. You'd have thought someone set off a cherry bomb in the back seat. The traffic behind me dropped way back. Scared the hell out of me. I coasted to the shoulder, got out and looked behind me for 1/2 of the 440 scattered in the road. Didn't see anything. Open the hood and start looking around, checked the fluids, looked under the car. Noticed both mufflers were puffed up. The car would not restart for nothing. About 15 min later, I find the wire feed to the electric choke had melted thru on the intake at the heat cross over. Pulled the wire off, tied it back and she started up and never had another problem. So the choke wire shorted out on the intake, ignited the unspent fuel thru the exhaust and nearly blew the mufflers off. I'm guessing a pair of pretty good sized fireballs came out of the tail pipes for the way the other cars backed off.

I was driving on RT 15 at about 70 mph in my new ‘96 F150 truck years ago in the Fall in upstate PA when I heard a loud bang like that. I pulled over and couldn’t find anything. When I got home a couple of days later, there was a big dent on the inside of the bed of the truck and a spent shotgun slug rolling around in the back.

I guess someone missed a deer and I caught the slug.
Or didn't like Fords.

I said dent...not hole. The round had clearly lost most of its velocity.

Sheesh!

Was driving down 44 about 60 mph in my blower car when it missed a couple times then BANG went the blower. Ignition box had went out and decided to randomly fire cylinders. Glad I wasn't under boost at the time! Box was so hot I couldn't touch it. I bypassed it and drove it home.

Ive had lots of Bangs in my mopars.... but we were always parked. !
Now blow outs.... Thats a different story!

Not me. The old man.

He was pulling a load to Scranton from where we lived in Upstate NY.

Pulled up to a red light when he heard a bang. Got out and the front driveshaft on the first screw of the old R-model Mack he was driving was laying on the ground. The universal let go and slung around and hit the truck/trailer.

In true fashion my old man had he pulled a roll of packaging tape out of the side box, gathered the pieces of the universal off the road, put as much as he could together, wrapped the thing with the whole roll of tape and drove to Scranton doing 45 miles an hour.

I was on the truck with him one Labor Day weekend when the turbo let go on the Kenworth he was driving. Now *that* was a bang as the parts all rattled around inside that Cat.

That's the pa. Law.
What does upstate have to do with it.
People from all over the state travel to hunt. So it could have been anyone.
That was my point. Lots of people travel to up there to hunt and aren't always aware of how close to roads they might be.

I got one! Driving my old rust bucket Impala back to my folks house with a HS buddy after a night of partying/cruising back in 79-80. Lived in what some might consider a bit of a rough neighbor hood. Anyway stopped at a stop sign a block from my house right off the Eisenhower expressway and noticed a bunch of dudes/bangers hanging out on a front porch/yard. They start saying something (can't hear cause I was running punch out glass packs) and moving towards us. I figured I'd hammer it to put some distance between us. Fried the tires, get a bit sideways (cause that's how we left stoplights/signs as HS idiots LOL) and hear load banging sounds of something smacking my car. My buddy says, those SOBs must be throwing rocks at us! We think nothing of it cause a) it wasn't uncommon to have **** thrown at you, and b) while the Impala was a stout runner, it looked like sh$t, so another ding was not big deal. I proceed on to my folks house to meet up with some more friends to play some guitar and continue partying in the yard. (Yes, we were young and dumb). Next day a wake up and walk to the car and see two holes, 1 a few feet behind the driver side door and another further back in the rear 1/4 panel. Realized real quick...those weren't stones impacting the old Impala! We didn't dawdle at intersections much after that either LOL.

Last edited:
I got one! Driving my old rust bucket Impala back to my folks house with a HS buddy after a night of partying/cruising back in 79-80. Lived in what some might consider a bit of a rough neighbor hood. Anyway stopped at a stop sign a block from my house right off the Eisenhower expressway and noticed a bunch of dudes/bangers hanging out on a front porch/yard. That start saying something (can't hear cause I was running punch out glass packs) and moving towards us. I figured I'd hammer it to put some distance between us. Fried the tires, get a bit sideways (cause that's how we left stoplights/signs as HS idiots LOL) and hear load banging sounds of something smacking my car. My buddy says, those SOBs must be throwing rocks at us! We think nothing of it cause a) it wasn't uncommon to have **** thrown at you, and b) while the Impala was a stout runner, it looked like sh$t, so another ding was not big deal. I proceed on to my folks house to meet up with some more friends to play some guitar and continue partying in the yard. (Yes, we were young and dumb). Next day a wake up and walk to the car and see two holes, 1 a few feet behind the driver side door and another further back in the rear 1/4 panel. Realized real quick...those weren't stones impacting the old Impala! We didn't dawdle at intersections much after that either LOL.
Been shot at at a traffic light myself. My dad and I sitting at a light in front of the projects in Jersey City.

Went to start my Belvedere and after the first rev I heard a deafening BOOM! And the garage filled with dust and smoke. I sat there for a few moments with my ears ringing thinking I grenaded the motor. My neighbor then peeks around the corner of the garage and asks if anybody is still alive in there lmao! Dogs are barking everywhere.

I tell him I'm fine, get out and look under the car for the carnage....no oil, no metal scrap.....hmmmm, where did all this undercoating come from?.......
234446-893f8a031b10210a08a63e095dd0db6d.jpg

F'ing Jegs rolled flange muffler let loose!!! Installed a set of Ultraflow welded and no problems since :)

Do it intentially.

Take a manual choke car, pull the choke all the way out, turn it off, then immediately refire.

Works best while you're rolling.

I worked for an auto parts manufacturer in their engineering lab for 36 years. One of the big customers specified that we had to deliberately backfire mufflers to test the quality of construction.

So we built a machine to do the job. Had a 400 inch Ford V8 spinning a 351 at 2000 rpm. Had a timer controlling the power to the ignition on the 351. Every five seconds it would power up for a second. Made quite the bang, sounded like a gunshot.

If the muffler had good crimps on the ends and good internal welding, no problem, it would balloon up a little but hold together. On ones that weren't built so good we launched the guts across the parking lot.

It was a good place to work for a car guy, lots of unoffical fringe benefits.

Bangin while drivin is kinda tough to control.

i was going to post some sarcastic **** about driving a rice burner but i wont.lol

-
Back