[SOLD] Bar Bet Winner!!

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to burst your bubble but most Q-jets are actually around 725 cfm respectfully. There is a few models floating around that can produce around 775cfm. I only know this because when I was in school (UNOH) I did some flow tests on a few different Q-jets to prove other students wrong using a Superflow tester. needless to say they all started to dig out those Q-jets they tossed on the workbench to replace with a holley or edelbrock.

Excellent work and info! This is the best tech/for sale ad I have ever read on carbs!

One more bump for you buddy!:violent1:

little off topic but i am going to school at UNOH right now....

bump for the carb though

Hows Good old UNOH these days? The place is alot bigger and better since I graduated. Is Mr. McPherson (spelling might be wrong) still there? He was the smartest guy I have ever met. Ask him about his lawn tractor with 4 transmissions lol!

I wouldn't trust any flowbench to come up with an exact number. All I know is that I "estimate" the cfm at 700-725 for the small one and 750-770 fot the larger one, basically there are only 2 sizes unless you find the "holy grail" of Q-jets (1 year only Pontiac ). You can tweak them a bit to get a bit more cfm. Cliff Ruggles runs high 10's to low 11's (depending on the tune) in a Pontiac ventura with a real Pontiac motor (455 over). Just a great carb and you can find them for next to nothing. I have one on my 318, very adaptable! Mine is off a 85 dodge van w 360.

Omaha, why wouldn't you trust a flow bench? Thats what they have been designed to do, to accurately give a CFM rating. You even gave the same number of CFM's for the larger QJ as I had tested and stated in a previous post.

I had also taken a holley 750cfm just for comparison to see if the flow numbers were fairly accurate and the holley flowed 735cfm. Now remember thats without an aircleaner. Im sure that number will drop a bit when you bolt the old pie pan on there.

I have had a couple of conversations with the local cylinder head guru. He has the only flow bench for miles around. According to him every bench is different and reads different. He explains that it is a tool for a good head guy so that he can see what changes he makes and how they affect flow, more than what the actual number is. Whatever the facts are, it is above my level of expertise!

I have had a couple of conversations with the local cylinder head guru. He has the only flow bench for miles around. According to him every bench is different and reads different. He explains that it is a tool for a good head guy so that he can see what changes he makes and how they affect flow, more than what the actual number is. Whatever the facts are, it is above my level of expertise!

Flow benches can give different reading due to weather changes (barometric pressure, temperature, etc.) but if you know what your doing there's a calculation you do using all those #'s that gives you a corrected reading. You have to know how to do these calculations correctly because weather conditions can change in just a few hrs., or even less sometimes, and if you don't calculate the correction factor right you won't even be able to trust your own figures done on different days.

Flow benches can give different reading due to weather changes (barometric pressure, temperature, etc.) but if you know what your doing there's a calculation you do using all those #'s that gives you a corrected reading. You have to know how to do these calculations correctly because weather conditions can change in just a few hrs., or even less sometimes, and if you don't calculate the correction factor right you won't even be able to trust your own figures done on different days.

Ah, that makes total sense, and I imagine altitude also makes a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back