Bare head Speedmaster day

-

pittsburghracer

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
One of my customers wants to get a set of heads upgraded to 2.055 or 2.08 valves and ported soo he had a set of bare Speedmaster heads drop shipped here. I warned him that I can’t eat 200-300.00 of labor on a set like I did last winter and he understood. So I started on them today and the first one I grabbed to drill landed on my inspection table and the guides were checked and were perfect. I drilled it and threw the second head on my inspection table and the guides on it were perfect too so I went ahead and drilled it for tubing. After that I hones the holes, cut the 17/32 and 9/16 tubing and epoxied them in the first head. I laid out both intake and exhaust gasket and then checked my Harland Sharp rocker shaft on both heads. Being I had Vic’s Edelbrock heads here waiting for valves I threw one up on my bench. The shaft fits very tightly in the radius of the Edelbrock head and there’s a little slop in the Speedmaster heads. I grabbed my feeler gauges and without bolting the shaft down and pushing it to the far side I’m getting.005-.006. So technically I don’t think enough to bother anything. Especially being I didn’t have them bolted down with the hold-downs. Someone posted the other day about the ragged casting in the oil drainback holes on the Edelbrock. Here’s a picture of a nice casting. Day of for church, a trip to Harbor Freight (65 miles) some football and some pork, kelby, and Kraut. Hopefully Monday and Tuesday I will have this head roughed in before Vic’s valves get here then back on his heads.

IMG_1073.jpeg

IMG_1072.jpeg

IMG_1071.jpeg

IMG_1070.jpeg

IMG_1069.jpeg

IMG_1068.jpeg

IMG_1067.jpeg

One of my customers wants to get a set of heads upgraded to 2.055 or 2.08 valves and ported soo he had a set of bare Speedmaster heads drop shipped here. I warned him that I can’t eat 200-300.00 of labor on a set like I did last winter and he understood. So I started on them today and the first one I grabbed to drill landed on my inspection table and the guides were checked and were perfect. I drilled it and threw the second head on my inspection table and the guides on it were perfect too so I went ahead and drilled it for tubing. After that I hones the holes, cut the 17/32 and 9/16 tubing and epoxied them in the first head. I laid out both intake and exhaust gasket and then checked my Harland Sharp rocker shaft on both heads. Being I had Vic’s Edelbrock heads here waiting for valves I threw one up on my bench. The shaft fits very tightly in the radius of the Edelbrock head and there’s a little slop in the Speedmaster heads. I grabbed my feeler gauges and without bolting the shaft down and pushing it to the far side I’m getting.005-.006. So technically I don’t think enough to bother anything. Especially being I didn’t have them bolted down with the hold-downs. Someone posted the other day about the ragged casting in the oil drainback holes on the Edelbrock. Here’s a picture of a nice casting. Day of for church, a trip to Harbor Freight (65 miles) some football and some pork, kelby, and Kraut. Hopefully Monday and Tuesday I will have this head roughed in before Vic’s valves get here then back on his heads.

View attachment 1716185352

View attachment 1716185353

View attachment 1716185354

View attachment 1716185355

View attachment 1716185356

View attachment 1716185357

View attachment 1716185358

Sad to say but the SM heads are finished better than Vic’s new stuff.

Looking good so far PBR. These should make some good steam with me running a .700 lift roller and being 268ish at 50

Looking good so far PBR. These should make some good steam with me running a .700 lift roller and being 268ish at 50

I love guys that aren’t afraid to run big cams and take advantage of the heart I put into these heads.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well it wasn’t as productive day as I would have liked but I did make some progress. I gave the coarse cut Killer Carbide burs a good test run. I roughed in all the intakes on one head and hopefully tomorrow get my two critical measurements that I like on the intake side, spend an hour to hour and a half on the exhaust and I can grab the other one and get it tubbed and start on it. This work was all done with a 3/8 and 1/2 inch coarse bur

IMG_1088.jpeg

IMG_1089.jpeg

IMG_1092.jpeg

View attachment 1716185352

View attachment 1716185353

View attachment 1716185354

View attachment 1716185355

View attachment 1716185356

View attachment 1716185357

View attachment 1716185358
What gaskets are you using to lay out the ports? Thank you.

An exhausting day on some 600 plus horsepower heads. They will be touched up one more time after I do the valve job. I said in another post I don’t use sanding rolls so I have to correct that statement. I don’t use sanding rolls on intake ports.

IMG_1135.jpeg

IMG_1134.jpeg

IMG_1133.jpeg

IMG_1132.jpeg

IMG_1131.jpeg

IMG_1130.jpeg

-
Back