Barn find dart

-

onodadio

Reaction score
Hey all, looking to purchase my first mopar. Came across a 67 dart 270
2 door. Car was in the back of an old barn. Guy says it has been sitting there for approximately 40 years. All the glass is good, has very minimal rust and original paint, trim all intact. Interior rough but all there. Has a 273 v8 auto transmission. He says make an offer and drag it home. I have no idea what to offer for a first timer. I don’t want to offend him. What would be a fair ballpark price to start at. Thanks

Depends on the barn, IMO, as a wet, humid barn will treat a car much differently than a dry barn.

Can you get/do you have pictures?

And have you seen the underside of it?

(Edit: Treed by @dano!)

Last edited:
Should be a nice project car. Lots of questions.

Probably 273 2 barrel 904 automatic, with 7 1/4" 3.23 ratio rear end (cover on the back). Would be real lucky if it had an 8 3/4 rear end in it, heavy duty, with the smooth back.

Already set up as a V8 Automatic car, so that is a lot better than slant 6 stick car. No major conversion work to do. Will more than likely need the engine and trans gone through after 40 years of sitting.

1717601938447.jpeg

2 Door Post Car or Hardtop?

Yes, you gotta get under it and see what the frame and torsion bar/transmission crossmember looks like.
And which rear end is under it- an 8.75 could make it worthwhile as a parts car even if the rest of the car is trash, but it all affects the price. I get paranoid about that kind of stuff, since moving it becomes an issue if it wants to break in half when you put a winch to it. Been there.

Tell him come up with a price. You can’t be a buyer and seller at the same time

I’ll get back there and take some pics. The barn is dry. Uses it to store all kinds of stuff even his current vehicles. I will have to uncover it since it seems to have a heavy coat of stuff stacked on it

Here in the states, some states don't title older cars, in which case a bill of sale suffices. Check with your local licensing body for what may be required.

Here in VA you still need a valid title for an older car, even for my 47 Dodge

Depending on where in Saskatchewan you are, the car could be really solid. Get a good look at the underside and pictures.
I have a 1997 Thunderbird that is a Saskatchewan car, absolutely no sign of rust on it anywhere, and they were prone to rusting in the rocker panels especially.

Welcome from Alberta!

Last edited:
Does the motor turn over by hand? Why was it parked? Need to know things before an offer can be made.

Is the current owner of the serious about selling it? He clearly has a price in mind since he asked you to make an offer. Kinda wasting time asking you to toss him something first. For all we know, he’s thinking $20k and you’re thinking $5k. And forget about us, we haven’t even seen photos of it so our numbers might as well be in yen.

2 door. Car was in the back of an old barn. Guy says it has been sitting there for approximately 40 years. All the glass is good, has very minimal rust and original paint, trim all intact. Interior rough but all there. Has a 273 v8 auto transmission. He says make an offer and drag it home. I have no idea what to offer for a first timer. I don’t want to offend him. What would be a fair ballpark price to start at. Thanks
There were no "titles" in '67. Just a registration to sigh over on the back to sell

I would figure and price it as a parts car. Anything better is a bonus.

-
Back