barn find, survivor, whatever.

-

demoman3955

Reaction score
the last few years ive been hearing the "catch phrases" Barn find, and survivor and a few others. what i want to know is what are the deffinitions for these. frankly i feel any car thats not in a scrap pile is a survivor, and Barn find is someone that bought a car that was left in a barn. It seem like just another way for a seller to try to raise more cash then may be deserved. i may be wrong, and if i am, why is there no sheet listing the requirements on said cars.

as in barn find it indicates it was stored inside out of the elements which helps to preserve it not just trying to jack up the price or at least that was my case. But it didn't work because no one looked at the 66 Barracuda I have for sale.

There is certainly no agreed on definition of either term.

I would think a car is a "survivor" if it is numbers matching, original paint color, with few if any modifications. I think a "barn find" is similar but has not run in many years and is likely in poor condition because of years of neglect.

Neither term reflects anything about potential value unless you have a rare car that could compete in "original/stock" categories in prestigious car shows with "gold certifications" or similar.

I actually just bought a legitimate barn find - a '46 Dodge Pickup that had been parked in a barn in Washington since 1971 (last registered in '64, I think?). Somebody found it and 'imported' it to AZ and I bought it from them.

Funny I was thinking about how many times I've read "Barn Find" lately and thinking to myself, "I didn't know there were that many Barns in America!"

Funny I was thinking about how many times I've read "Barn Find" lately and thinking to myself, "I didn't know there were that many Barns in America!"

I've got a fiberglass T-bucket, our '68 Charger R/T, and our 440 Duster stored in our barn(and it is an actual barn). Does that count? The Lil Red Express is in one of the other sheds. A few miles away there's an original '70 Six Pack Superbee in an old lean to. It's been there for quite a while.

View attachment 8.jpg

View attachment 9.jpg

View attachment 10.jpg

I think barn find means that it wasn't in open view to public, and someone "stumbled" across it, and struck a deal. A GTX sitting along a major highway would bring lots of attention, offers, etc. A barn find means..... they all missed this one!!!! Come see the PRIZE I discovered!!!!!!!!!!

all good definitions for sure. i guess what is bothering me is the fact that what started out as a good thing was overused for the wrong reasons. Its kinna nice my valiants would be called survivers, yet there are still a few out there in all original paint and un-modified condition.

Attachments

• P6080299.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 347
  • car1.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 355
as in barn find it indicates it was stored inside out of the elements which helps to preserve it not just trying to jack up the price or at least that was my case. But it didn't work because no one looked at the 66 Barracuda I have for sale.

Oh contrare, mon frere!! I looked at it and although I hate saying it, if it were closer to me I would have already bought it!!

missouri dirt dobbers!??? had a charger that come out of shed, full of dirt dobbers, i cleaned out a 5 gal bucket full of their nests out of the interior alone! true. its called a shed find!?????

I don't tend to let the catch phrases influence what I'm looking at or let it indicate that it is more than it really is, at the end of the day it's only worth what someone will pay for it.

I've got a fiberglass T-bucket, our '68 Charger R/T, and our 440 Duster stored in our barn(and it is an actual barn). Does that count? The Lil Red Express is in one of the other sheds. A few miles away there's an original '70 Six Pack Superbee in an old lean to. It's been there for quite a while.

View attachment 1714708584

View attachment 1714708585

View attachment 1714708586

That looks like my old bee... Hard to see interior color.

I still have a broadcast sheet from my old car.

Barn find would have 2 inches of dust on it and actual mileage on a 5 position odometer, a survivor would have 2 inches of grease under it and a flipped X times odometer.

Let me see if I can find the sheet.

Looks like it may be a wm23 car, mine was a wm21 Coupe

-
Back