Barracuda factory exhaust cut-out ????

-

scottylack

Reaction score
here is a shot of the cut out thats on my 65 Barracuda ... it looks factory...edges knurled perfectly, circular corner cuts, edges smoothed... looks totally factory for a square tip. Would they have had this in 65 ??? I want to copy it for the other side for my dual exhaust...

cutout.jpg

If the car came with the Formula S factory single exhaust, this would be correct. Correct resonator/muffler below....

Attachments

• resonator2s.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 474
  • Accurate Resonator.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 475
I'm no expert on the FS cars, but I believe that if that cut-out valence was factory-installed, that the car came with the "Super-Single" exhaust system, which were FS cars.

Check the fender tag on the car. I believe there's a number on there that denotes "FS" build.

Hopefully, an FS expert will chime in.

Wasn't it dual exhaust on the FS cars that came into 1 tailpipe with the single chrome tip ?

yep... would like to find a donar car to make the second opening in the valence...

On all Formula S cars there was single exhaust system that was availible. All those cars too had the cut-out on the lower left side of the valence panel.

Wasn't it dual exhaust on the FS cars that came into 1 tailpipe with the single chrome tip ?

Nope...just a larger-than-2-bbl single exhaust with a resonator/chrome tip on the end.

Photo courtesy Accurate Ltd.

If you're good at metal working, you can cut your present valance.

Attachments

• 273 FS exhaust.JPG
    154 KB · Views: 416
OK all, to clear up a few things here... first of all NO pre-67 Cuda came with dual exhaust, period!!! The trans crossmember is only cut out on the drivers side to allow the exhaust pipe to pass through. Next, the Formula "S" exhaust system had a transverse mounted resonator and no muffler, but came out only on the drivers side in the back through what Scott now knows is a dual cutout sized rectangular hole. I have seen an NOS setup laying on my buddies floor for what now is going on 20 years it seems!!

IMO, it's going to be a difficult find to locate a used valance that is cheap enough to cut up for the dual exhaust cutout conversion, and the repopped ones are much too expensive to buy to just cut up, for most of us anyway.

And remember Scott, you still need to modify your trans crossmember to allow the passenger side pipe to pass through the crossmember area, going under is pretty restrictive and hangs too low!!! Need a pic of that conversion?? Message me and I'll send you one. I had about a dozen crossmembers converted a while back and sold them all to members here for their conversions!!! Geof

Awesome. Please do. Yes. This is a restomod. I guess I started with a formula s. I will try to make the cutout !!

OK all, to clear up a few things here... first of all NO pre-67 Cuda came with dual exhaust, period!!! The trans crossmember is only cut out on the drivers side to allow the exhaust pipe to pass through. Next, the Formula "S" exhaust system had a transverse mounted resonator and no muffler, but came out only on the drivers side in the back through what Scott now knows is a dual cutout sized rectangular hole. I have seen an NOS setup laying on my buddies floor for what now is going on 20 years it seems!!

IMO, it's going to be a difficult find to locate a used valance that is cheap enough to cut up for the dual exhaust cutout conversion, and the repopped ones are much too expensive to buy to just cut up, for most of us anyway.

And remember Scott, you still need to modify your trans crossmember to allow the passenger side pipe to pass through the crossmember area, going under is pretty restrictive and hangs too low!!! Need a pic of that conversion?? Message me and I'll send you one. I had about a dozen crossmembers converted a while back and sold them all to members here for their conversions!!! Geof

Geof...I think you'll find the FS exhaust did have a muffler...albeit, almost straight through...very little muffling...specific to that system. The pic in my post above is the Accurate Ltd repro exhaust system for the early FS cars. It is a direct copy of the original systems, complete with all components.

OK all, I am going over to Ernesto's house to photograph the NOS system he has and I'll post the pics here for exact confirmation of what the early Formula "S" cars came with. I will also post a pic of the transmission crossmember conversion for running dual exhaust. As a matter of reference, Laysons was selling the X-member conversion for $125.00 and you had to send them your old one as a core, mine were $60.00!!! Thats FABO pricing right there!!! Geof

The cross member and frame both need to be cut and modified for the duals. The first photo shows where the frame interferes with the modified X-member. If you don't cut the frame, you don't get the same clearance on both sides. Mine is cut a little asymmetrically to maximize ground clearance. The last photo is the stock X-member. I used the opposite side of the stock member as a template to cut the passenger side. I took a little more off after the initial cutting for optimum ground clearance. I'm sure you will get varying opinions here, this one's mine. Good luck with your build. Please add some pic's of your car, we would love to see it. Thanks.

Attachments

• stock frame rail.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 338
  • frame rail cut.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 316
  • frame rail reinforcement clamped in.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 335
  • frame reinforcement welded in.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 343
  • finished product.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 340
  • stock crossmember.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 333
Wow 4spd66, thats a lot of work just for the pipe clearance. Here is a picture of my conversion, and installed on the car does just what the drivers side does, provides clearance for the passenger side pipe to go straight through. No cutting and remending of the frame, and if you look at an unmolested setup, my conversion provides the clearance in the only place the pipe can go through, which is the same as the driver side. It works for me on all my cars, and about two dozen satisfied customers over the years!!! Geof

Attachments

• 100_3008.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 347
I didn't mock it up to check, it just looked like there would not have been enough clearance. Well, it's done!! That set up you've got there looks pretty nice. Thanks for posting.

Geof...I think you'll find the FS exhaust did have a muffler...albeit, almost straight through...very little muffling...specific to that system. The pic in my post above is the Accurate Ltd repro exhaust system for the early FS cars. It is a direct copy of the original systems, complete with all components.

The Commando exhaust included a muffler- owned first '65 in 1966.
Also because it had a 273 Commando didn't mean it was a Formula S. You could buy a "Rallye Pack" car which had only the motor and exhaust- no sway bar, tach, and came with 13 inch tires/wheels----

im still looking for a 65 formula parts car ... hate to freehand trhe next cutout!

-
Back