Barrett bidders have sh** for brains

-

3406pk

Reaction score
Just sold 1964 Plymouth Savoy SS/A drag car with professionally built 426 Hemi. Proven car with 9.16 ET timeslips. Sold for $31,000. Followed up by Chevelle for 41,000. Nobody there knows crap.

Was the '64 previously raced or recently restored by a famous name?

I still can't believe the Dave Boertman/Rod Shop '71 Challenger SS/IA 383 car only went for $40,000 on Friday. In my opinion, that was a steal for a car with actual racing history. I wanted that car more than anything else on the docket.

What do you mean **** for brains..that savoy is awsume and has a newly rebuilt 426 hemi in it with only 3 dyno pulls..i say it was a steal..and the chevelle was a numbers matching '66 that was done very nicely too..

The problem is not the buyer,it,s the second guy bidding that needs to raise the price.But if there is not a second person there to want the car reallty bad,and knows what the car is worth,then it,s up to the two of them to battle it out for the car.If only one guy really wants it,to bad to sad,that,s why they have a reserve,mrmopartech

I don't see a problem there. I don't care if the Chevy guys want to price themselves right off the planet. It makes me kind of happy when MoPars, especially Hemi MoPars go for reasonable prices. It means there still might be hope!

maybe some seeing the really desirable cars there go for what they feel is way too cheap, hurts their Mopar pride? or they are kicking themselves for not being there with $$$ in hand to buy that rare car ?? but far as i'm concerned, I love seeing value of the "rare" mopars being down,, makes those cars affordable for the HOBBIEST that can play with that caliber car and lower prices there helps to keep the price of what 99% of us "low end" hobby guys play with..... DOWN!!!!!!!

like he said, seller is protected with a reserve. he sold because he wanted to or had to. the buyer is the last guy bidding, run out of bidders and be above the reserve and whammo, you bought a car!!?????

Yeah, I agree the one who bought is happy (if the seller didn't buy it back). But my point is the engine alone was worth the buy price. Just not any mopar fans left on Sunday.

The problem is not the buyer,it,s the second guy bidding that needs to raise the price.But if there is not a second person there to want the car reallty bad,and knows what the car is worth,then it,s up to the two of them to battle it out for the car.If only one guy really wants it,to bad to sad,that,s why they have a reserve,mrmopartech

I believe the B-J auction is a bit different than the Mecum Auctions. Mecum does have a reserve however at B-J, most cars are at no reserve. If you don't like the price that is bid on your car you can buy your car back. That means you pay a 10% sellers fee plus a 10% buyer fee. Way scary.

Other than a few Million Dollar type cars Barrett-Jackson is a no reserve sale.

Doesn't hurt my feelings any that some of those prices are rock bottom. In fact it's nice to see it. Maybe some of these people thinking their junk is gold will come to their senses.

what kind of wealthy fool pays a 10% buyers premium???? a wealthy fool that's what???
next car advertised on FABO should add: buyer needs to add 10% buyers premium to the listed price, and another 3% for paypal, and another ??? % for mom a new pair of shoes!?? ha

If im going to bid on something the last thing I want is anyone else wanting it and driving the fn price up.

That AFX CLONEwas awesome, but the color might have held it back. It was that god awful Amberfire copper. The real steal was that numbers matching 426 Hemi GTX 4 spd for 80 grand or that 71 340 cuda Itasca show care from the 70s.

What I get out of Barrett /Jackson is who keeps their cars and whos tired of them . Not many mopars this year meaning we are hanging on to what we like. It was a Chevy show and I choked on a lot of the bids. Mopars were down played. I didn't get to see what the three 70 cuda's went for.

I hate B/J. That outfit has done more to ruin this hobby that anything I can think of. After watching it some rube that has an old bone out in the field automatically thinks it's time to sell the old rust bucket and retire.
The day's of being able to find a project and then afford to build it are rare at best now days.
As far as the bidders go, the value of what is sold is very often tied to who owned it, like that make the car faster,or better some how. It's all about bragging rights and showing off big fat check books,by people with more ego than brains.

OK I'm done ranting now

Barrett Jackson had their time in the spotlight which is now done. Mecum has come to the forefront over Barrett Jackson due to b jacksons mafia style buisness practices. Mopar collectors are a tight knit community and that short hammer deal by BJ on a hemi Cuda a few yrs. back that triggered a lawsuit was final straw for Mopar money folks.

Oldschoolcuda

Talk about fantasy world...auctions.....always chuckle when I see folks chest thumping that this or that Mopar went for some stupid *** price at BJ. Like that has anything to do with the real value of our cars...or even that particular car. Hell, didn't a later model Trans Am go for close to half a million?

a lot of the hi end cars are bought by investors hoping in 1 or more years they can turn a profit...or just park excess cash / wealth
...They are not car guys.

Agree the "Star" cars fetch questionable prices and are they real bids??. The over priced cars are the TV autos. Just like a reality show one should not put to much stock in them either. Most cars sell for much less than their build cost. As you know recovering the true build cost of a car is difficult even when the majority of the work is done by the owner. Just my .02.

I have noticed this over the years. average Joe restores or has a desirable and nice car professionally restored. he offers it for sale. he will hardly ever get the price the "big dog" collectors get when they sell, because they sell to each other. they will buy from the "little guy" no problem, but only if they think they can sell it for more to one of their buds. or turn it on B J.

maybe B J can be like some big time horse dispersal sales.?? weeks BEFORE this particular sale, several of the "top" horses sold privately, with the understanding they would be "run" through the ring, for a higher price. stud and several broodmares. she was big time leading breeder for dedades. BIG rep. but ch** hit the fan, with there was a dispute when the million $ due was to be paid and horses picked up. law suit and all. ha
why? makes the offspring of that mare or stud that sold for say, $300,000 look more "valuable" ???? yep.

and just like B J,.... if Joe Blow owned those same horses and sold out on the same sale, same auction co, same ads, everything the same..... his prices would not be squat compared to the prices the " big dog" got. fact. Ha.. people and life is funny!???

barbee makes a good point. I could never figure out why a real nice Hemi-Cuda would sell for half the price of a comparable Hemi-Cuda owned by some big time collector.

-
Back