Barrett Jackson, what a disappointment

-

Coyote Jack

Member #55, I'm old
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I went to Barrett Jackson in West Palm Beach yesterday. And like the title says, it was a disappointment. The auction itself is quite a production. There were some buys early on so in that reguard it wasn't to bad. Overall the quality of cars wasn't to bad, about the same as the cars I see at the bigger car shows. There were a few of .what I would call high end customs or builds. One 42 Willys caught my eye as well as a 32 Ford custom. There were to many newer cars and at times it seemed more like a used car auction instead of a classic car auction. The complete lack of Mopar cars up for auction was the real disappointment. You could count the total number of Mopars on 2 hands. Walking through and checking the cars out I only saw one classic Mopar muscle car, It was a Charger and although not to bad it was nothing special. Your basic 383/4 speed car. If you were looking for a Mustang or a Camaro, there were lots of them. The GTO crowd was well represented with a few really nice ones. Overall it was a Chevy/Ford auction. Here are a couple of photos.

Jack

20230413_123715.jpg

20230413_131957.jpg

HORACE.jpg

same old

50% chevy
30% ford
10% non-chevy gm
10% other including Mopar

Most Mopar owners understand what they have and don't want to sell them. If you had a Rustang or Camaro, you'd have it on the block too.

I don't understand why guys sell there without a reserve. See so many nice cars go for ridiculously low prices the owners have to be loosing their *** and could double their money on Craigslist in three days.

I saw a 2017-2018? drag pack sell for 20 some thousand.
Still had the roller wheels on it.
They went for a ton more than that new.

$20 to get in

$25 per shot. That's where they getcha.

$25 for a pic with backside of SSG of your choice.

Now that might sell!

There IS an SSG "appreciation" website.

I know its ALWAYS been this way that the SBC is used for EVERYTHING. But if I was that man with lots....LOTS of disposable income- paying a shop to build my car entirely (Checkbook car) why not power that car with a killer 409, Buick Nailhead, 354 Hemi etc. Heck even a 318 Poly is unique and with that huge checking account balance can be made very powerful.

I know its ALWAYS been this way that the SBC is used for EVERYTHING. But if I was that man with lots....LOTS of disposable income- paying a shop to build my car entirely (Checkbook car) why not power that car with a killer 409, Buick Nailhead, 354 Hemi etc. Heck even a 318 Poly is unique and with that huge checking account balance can be made very powerful.
That's long been my argument. There are WAY more deserving and interesting power plants than the Chevy small block. That said, It's kinda almost getting refreshing to even see one of those in the sea of LS motors.

That's long been my argument. There are WAY more deserving and interesting power plants than the Chevy small block. That said, It's kinda almost getting refreshing to even see one of those in the sea of LS motors.
But its getting to where the Chevy LS powerplants are drab as well. On the Dodge Dakota pages on FB- its accepted and common for members Dakotas to have LS engines. The LS engine is not only great- but probably better than a modern Hemi and anything by Ford. But Mopars have always been the underdog treated with disdain- and for no valid reason. Its just nice and fitting for the B@#$ard red haired step child (Mopar) to have its own powerplant. This is only my opinion.

Its just nice and fitting for the B@#$ard red haired step child (Mopar) to have its own powerplant. This is only my opinion.
Nope, by definition a bastard would not have pure genetics
I would expect some off brand parts is a genetically unpure bastard

I went to Barrett Jackson in West Palm Beach yesterday. And like the title says, it was a disappointment. The auction itself is quite a production. There were some buys early on so in that reguard it wasn't to bad. Overall the quality of cars wasn't to bad, about the same as the cars I see at the bigger car shows. There were a few of .what I would call high end customs or builds. One 42 Willys caught my eye as well as a 32 Ford custom. There were to many newer cars and at times it seemed more like a used car auction instead of a classic car auction. The complete lack of Mopar cars up for auction was the real disappointment. You could count the total number of Mopars on 2 hands. Walking through and checking the cars out I only saw one classic Mopar muscle car, It was a Charger and although not to bad it was nothing special. Your basic 383/4 speed car. If you were looking for a Mustang or a Camaro, there were lots of them. The GTO crowd was well represented with a few really nice ones. Overall it was a Chevy/Ford auction. Here are a couple of photos.

Jack

View attachment 1716077465

View attachment 1716077467

View attachment 1716077468
That Willys coupe is really nice but those cheap Edelbrock valve covers really look out of place on a build like that.

-
Back