Batman

-
Yes indeed. But not in the original series.

and that Batmobile was definitly in the original series.. unless you are familiar with an original series the rest of us are not...

and that Batmobile was definitly in the original series.. unless you are familiar with an original series the rest of us are not...

There was an earlier incarnation of Batman, but it was a movie serial like the ones you'd see every Saturday at the local theater.

There was a 15 episode serial in 1943, with Lewis Wilson portraying Batman and another in 1949 with Robert Lowery called "Batman and Robin".

I remember seeing clips of one of them, and Batman is really weird looking. Here's a pic.

Oh, and nobody mentioned that Lee Meriweather also played Catwoman.

WOW, didn't even know abut the 1943 version. Here's the 1949.

ScannedImage.jpg

ScannedImage-2.jpg

hmmm well there you go.. I now stand corrected LOL .. I believe everyone is referring to the 60's show though.. but at least now I know there was another series first LOL .. you learn something new everyday

I find it hilarious that I'm trying to be a smart *** and it turns out there's an even earlier version than the one I was talking about. I got these tapes about 16 years ago. I haven't watched them for about that long. For some reason a scene where they rush to the bat cave to get dressed sticks in my mind. Their costumes are neatly folded and kept in a drawer in a file cabinet.

I remember when the movie came out for the 60's version. I was VERY young and went with some friends who had older brothers. At that time you bought a ticket and could watch as many times as you wanted as they played the movie over and over again. After watching it I don't know how many times, everyone decided to go home. I wanted to watch it again so I stayed by myself. I was down to my last dime which was either bus fair or popcorn. I figured I knew my way home so popcorn it was. When it came time to go home it turned out I didn't know the way home at all. Ended up that a guy in a bicycle shop was watching me pace back and forth in front of the shop and figured I was lost. Came and took me inside and when the store closed he drove me home. Man, how might that story have turned out.

You have that series on tape? That's cool.

It was re-released in 1964, again as a movie serial, that's probably where the tape originated.

I'll have to see if I can find it somewhere. I have the Batman movie on tape and DVD, and a compilation tape from one of the seasons of the Adam West series.

I had all of the toys when I was a kid, the Batmobile, the Batboat and the Batcopter. The Batmobile even launched little rockets out of the stack at the back and had the cutter blade at the front.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrIp3k5pJQM"]YouTube - Pug sings Batman theme[/ame]

I was born in 1957. Used to watch Batman when I was a kid. We've got the Movie on DVD & my kids watch it once in a while. When I was about 16 or so I went to a Daryl Starbird (sp?) car show in Wichita Kansas & they had a Batmobile from the the TV show on display. I have since read that they made 5 of the cars so they would have some to use in displays or events or something. This must have been one of them. It was painted with that "Fuzz" type of stuff, kind of like flocking, & all of the pin stripes were put on with something like 1/4" wide dayglow orange tape. If you can imagine a way to make a Batmobile look Cheesy, they had done it. If it had been painted gloss black like the one on TV it would've probably looked pretty good but I bet black fuzz can cover wavy body work & you never need to wax it. I think I still have some pictures of it somewhere.

-
Back