Batteries

-

bobscuda67

Reaction score
Hey everyone!
I'm getting fed up with how hard the way my car starts after getting hot. I'm sure everyone has this problem one time or another.
I have a restoration group 24 battery in my car now with a mini starter and it will start fine when it's cold. A couple spins and fires right up.
Yesterday went to put gas in it and after the 5 minutes it took me fill it, wouldn't spin. Crap!
Called the wife and she brought my truck and I jumped it. It took a bit to start as the fuel was starting to percolate. Got it home and parked it.
Today I put my truck battery in it drove it to a show 30 miles away. All good, started instantly to go home as the engine was cool. Got it home parked in the driveway to unload it.
Sat for a half hour and went to move it and it wont spin.
The battery in my truck has 700cca and it wont turn over when hot. The timing is set at 14 degrees and my truck battery is 14 years old though, might have something to do with it.
It no doubt needs a new battery but is a 830 cca battery going to be strong enough?
Any recommendations on a size or a brand? I would have sworn that 700cca would have started it.

You can't just stand there and wish it's fixed

Some of "whut:"

1....I noticed you mention trunk.........so cable connections, size, and GROUND from trunk to engine

2....Starter could be dragging when hot a common problem esp with the older wound field units

3.....It's possible you have an engine problem, rod, main bearing

4....Yes, both batteries might be getting weak/ old. Have it / them load tested

"Rig" a long piece of light gauge wire with alligator clips, long enough to reach from front to rear. Spend part of a day when you can mess with this. Warm it up and see if you can duplicate the problem, but in any case get the engine FULLY warm

Clip one end of the wire to the NEG battery post in the trunk. Run the wire up front, hook to your meter. Hook the other meter lead to the engine block

Crank the engine, note the reading, and crank it and read AGAIN with coil wire unhooked / grounded

You are looking here for a very low reading and you don't want more than say, .2V, that is 2/10 of one volt

Now do the same thing on the positive side............Hook the alligator to the POS battery post, come up front, crawl under, and hook to the big starter post. Again crank, and with coil wire grounded. Again, you don't want a high reading the lower the better, not more than 2.--.3V max

Now, leave the meter on the starter post, and move the other test lead to the engine block. You should read battery voltage. Again crank the engine. You want the "higher the better" 10.5V is about min, I would not accept less than 10V.

You might get a battery hydrometer ( fairly cheap) use it to check each cell. This tool has saved me a lot of guess work about batteries over the years.
Yote

I don't see him saying trunk in his post about where the battery is. What engine? Do you have headers near starter? I have a 13 year old Ram with original battery and it starts hot or cold. The starter problem is the result of heat not so much battery. I built 440 with headers and because of heat wouldn't start when hot. Put stock manifolds on and no more hot hard starts.

^^I guess I read "truck"^^ LOL

The thing is the same. You need to check cable voltage drop and cranking voltage.

On a side note if you can beg, borrow or steal a load tester you can not only load test the battery, you can determine starter current

115211a.jpg

Hey everyone!
I'm getting fed up with how hard the way my car starts after getting hot. I'm sure everyone has this problem one time or another.
I have a restoration group 24 battery in my car now with a mini starter and it will start fine when it's cold. A couple spins and fires right up.
Yesterday went to put gas in it and after the 5 minutes it took me fill it, wouldn't spin. Crap!
Called the wife and she brought my truck and I jumped it. It took a bit to start as the fuel was starting to percolate. Got it home and parked it.
Today I put my truck battery in it drove it to a show 30 miles away. All good, started instantly to go home as the engine was cool. Got it home parked in the driveway to unload it.
Sat for a half hour and went to move it and it wont spin.
The battery in my truck has 700cca and it wont turn over when hot. The timing is set at 14 degrees and my truck battery is 14 years old though, might have something to do with it.
It no doubt needs a new battery but is a 830 cca battery going to be strong enough?
Any recommendations on a size or a brand? I would have sworn that 700cca would have started it.
It's time to replace the battery in the truck. And how old is the battery in the car?

So is it turning over in the hard starts? Could be fuel.ppercolating like you said. Heat soak. A carb spacer may fixit

Replaced the battery with a 800 amp group 24 and that took care of the no start when its hot issue .Yes, I have the Edelbrock carb spacer and it has helped the fuel percolating problem somewhat. My next step would to install a return fuel line.

-
Back