Battery Cut Off Question

-

'70_Duster_340

Reaction score
I was doing some reading here last night and have a question. The battery is in the trunk so I need a cut off switch to race. I just mounted the switch, ran one wire from the "off" side to the positive post on the battery. Then hooked the existing battery cable and heavy wire that runs to the starter relay, to the positive side of the switch..

I tested it by turning it off and the car won't start, so I'm thinking it's good? Now I read that I have to take the positive wire off the alternator and run it to the switch, or the switch won't shut down the car ?

Anyone help me out here ? Also, can I just go out and fire up the car and shut off the remote switch, w/o doing any harm ??

Thanks,

Kenny

I'm not very good at wiring and that confuses the hell out of me ](*,) There's got to be an easier way?

Anyone ?? Will I harm anything by trying to shut the car down w/ the switch, or will it keep running off the alternator ?

Im not positive but I think you can disconnect the hot feed to the ballast resistor and run one from the trunk cut off. I would first try just running the cable to the relay and see what happens.

Talked to someone smarter than me,99% of the population but anyway,you have to run the red alternator wire to the BATTERY side of the trunk cut off so when the switch is off the alt cant feed the system thru the switch. Hope this makes sense.When switch is on system charges.Hot current from alt. has nowhere to go with switch off.

Talked to someone smarter than me,99% of the population but anyway,you have to run the red alternator wire to the BATTERY side of the trunk cut off so when the switch is off the alt cant feed the system thru the switch. Hope this makes sense.When switch is on system charges.Hot current from alt. has nowhere to go with switch off.

Correct, The switch needs to shut the car off. Not just keep it from starting.

Thanks guys, I think I got it .. So I can just T into the red power wire on the alternator and run it back to the battery side of the cut of switch ? For that matter, couldn't I just add another terminal to that post on the alternator and run IT back to the cut off switch ?? I'm doing everything I can so the car can be easily put back to stock someday .. The battery is already in the trunk so not much I can do there..

Well, go figure, I have NO red wire coming from my alternator... With the key on, only one of three terminals test positive for current, so I'm guessing THIS is the terminal I have to run a wire from, TO the battery side of the kill switch...

Thanks guys... God, I hate electrical stuff.. It's like algebra to me !!

Kenny

You cannot just "T" into the existing output wire from the alternator.

1. Make sure you located the output terminal from the alternator (it is a stud, the other two push on terminals are the field wires).

2. Disconnect the existing output wire and cover the end so it cannot short out. Some heat shrink tubing and electrical tape should do the trick - just remove and reattach to return car to stock later on.

Side note: The output wire from the alternator on a stock wiring harness is connected to the battery, but it takes a long route to get there, including two trips through the bulkhead connector, a trip through the ammeter etc. Not sure how you have rewired your car when you relocated the battery, so use common sense!

3. Make a new wire to go from the output stud on the alternator to the battery in the trunk. I would use 8ga wire and think about a section of 10ga fusible link at the alternator end - should be able to get a fusible link from the help section of the local auto parts.

Another Note: When you make the alternator connect directly to the battery like this, the factory ammeter will no long read correctly. That's OK, they are a terrible way of telling the state of your charging system anyway!

Hope that helps!

John P.
www.UsCarTool.com
919-855-8200

John, thanks so much man .. Now I understand just what to do ...

I've had this Duster for 30 years and we moved the battery to the trunk way back when, when I was a kid ... The main wire runs to the starter and there is a smaller, maybe 12 or 14 gauge wire that runs to the starter relay..I've got a good, solid ground to the floor of the trunk, and the there's also a ground strap on the engine bock to the fender... It's always worked good.

What's the best way to hook up a new amp gauge, if I'm not pressing my luck asking too many dumb questions ??

Thanks again,

Kenny

Here are some ideas for you. The one with the moroso switch/ford relay picture is really smart idea as it doesn't allow the alt wire to be hot all the time. The first two, the line to the Alt is hot all the time.

trunkbattwire1.jpg

trunkbattwire2.jpg

trunkbattwire3.jpg

Kenny,

No worries about questions!!

Consider that new cars no longer use ammeters - they have all gone to voltmeters. I never liked having all the current from the alternator going through the bulkhead connector and then back out just so we can have an ammeter on the dash. If you are keeping track, there are 11 connections in a stock mopar wiring harness between the alternator that generates the current and the battery that stores it.

Voltmeters do a much better job at telling you what is going on with the electrical system. (As a side note, how does an ammeter tell you the battery is drained? It Doesn't! You look at the dim lights to tell!) You can also have a voltmeter on the dash without having to run 60 amps of charging current through the bulkhead connector and the under dash wiring harness. You can also use much smaller gauge wire safely since it is only handling relatively small current loads.

So, when I rewire a mopar, be it a customer's hot rod or my race car I start by bypassing the bulkhead connector, dash wiring and ammeter. Easiest way to do this is what we suggested above - add a wire from the alternator output stud to the battery - an easy connection point is the battery stud on the starter relay. (The only reason we told you earlier to remove the existing alternator output lead is you are adding a switch in the back and want it to function as an engine kill switch - for stock wiring harness cars, you can just add the bypass wire to the stud and leave the factory one as well).

Once the bypass wire is in place, the bulk of the charging current will go directly to the battery. Why? Because electricity wants to flow via the path of least resistance and the bypass wire has 2 connections vs. the stock wiring harness that has 11 connections.

I also add a jumper wire on the back of the ammeter so the current no longer flows through the stock gauge. If you have ever taken a mopar ammeter apart you will see that the studs are held in place by the nuts on the back of the gauge - yup, that's right - they are not soldered in place, they are "swedged" into holes in the gauge and the nuts secure them. Think the vibrations of 40 years of driving might make that connection less than perfect? Me too - So I bypass the gauge to avoid problems.

Now, if you want to keep tabs on the electrical system, add an aftermarket voltmeter gauge. Since a voltmeter gauge draws so little current (less than the clock radio in your new car) you can even hook it up to battery (always on) 12v in the car and have a voltmeter all the time. Then you can tell when your battery is dead (or low) BEFORE you try to start the car or turn on the headlights.

And now, Greg Garner from Real Time Engineering has developed a voltmeter than can be placed in your dash in the location of the original stock ammeter. Pretty cool piece - I saw it at the Nats but it hasn't made the website yet so you will have to call Greg about it - his site is www.RealTimeEngineering.com. It is a neat piece and he takes an original ammeter, repaints the face to be a period correct "voltmeter" and then mounts an oil pressure gauge behind it with his own custom sending unit. Turns the oil pressure (electrical) gauge into a voltmeter that looks 100% factory - very cool idea!

So Kenny, Hope that didn't bore you to tears - I get long winded about the electrical stuff.

Hey John,

Thanks again for all the info !! I hooked up the 8 gauge wire direct to the battery, super cleaned all terminal ends and studs and it works perfectly, just need to add the fusible link now ..

I saved the website of the guy who restores the gauges, that's pretty cool.. I have the rallye dash with 3 gauges in one, but if I ever get around to restoring the car I'll check him out.. For now I'm going to send back the cluster of gauges I bought w/ an amp gauge in it, and get a volt gauge...

Kenny

It does not seem like it would but I've got to ask..would having the voltmeter hooked to the constant hot drain the battery? I use a battery tender to maintain a constant charge on the battery so it would not ever go completely dead. But I was just wondering?

I did the ammeter bypass years ago. I have a 4 gage wire going to the starter relay off of the alternator. I just got done installing a EZ Wiring fuse box (newer spade type fuses) and wiring for the entire car. I used the bulk head connection BUT drilled out all the holes 3/16 so the wires slide right through to the engine bay. There is no terminals at all in the bulk head just straight wire. I like the voltmeter much better than the ammeter.

Kenny,

You might be interested in the cluster of gauges (with voltmeter) I just removed from my cuda. They are AutoGage. PM me if you're interested.

-
Back