Battery in trunk/ fastback?

-

Longgone

John/68 Barracuda & Dart
Reaction score
I`m thinking of moving the battery to the trunk in my 68 Barracuda fastback. The car is a street car so I have my bumper jack and spare in the trunk still and would like to keep it there. I`d like to move the battery to the right rear. My problem is that, if I move the battery to the trunk, I have to move it to the left side because the right side is occupied by the jack. If I put it far enough out that I could access the jack the fold down door in the trunk won`t open. Does anybody have their battery-in-trunk on the left side? Would this be okay?

We are just now putting ours on the left side of the Duster right now for the same reason-the jack, plus we bought a kit from Summit and the cable would not have been long enough to go on the right side.

Bob

Mine was back there (right side) before I moved it back to the stock location.

I would find another place for the jack before I would put it on the left side (I wouldn't put it on the left side).

Once you get the battery box (required, I believe, if you ever track the car) you probably won't be able to fold down the divider. I know I couldn't, as it would hit the top of the box.

Hey guys. Why dont you want to put the battery on the left side? Is it because of the fuel?
Also it seems to make sense to put it on the left side as the starter is on the left. If it is on the right how are you running it over to the starter?

Many thanks
George

Another option would be one of the new smaller, high tech batteries. My kid put one in his Caliber to clear his bigger intake pipe. It's half the size and weight of the stock one.

The REAL reason for moving a battery to the back is for weight distribution.
It's normally put on the right hand side but can be put on the left hand side if the car is balanced for it.

Just my .02

The reason for the right side having the battery is the torque of the driveshaft pushes down more on the left wheel, so weight on the right side gives that side some more traction. That's the whole battery on the right reason, pretty much.

-
Back