Battery in trunk wire routing.

-

younggun2.0

Reaction score
how did you guys route your battery cables from the battery to the starter when you moved your battery to the trunk? im getting ready to run mine this weekend and am having a hard time deciding where to run the 1/0 ga. positive battery cable.

I ran my wire alongside the original wiring to the firewall. I installed a bulkhead connector ( Summit p/n SUM-G1431) on the firewall. This gives access to a power connection inside and outside the firewall.

mine goes past the right wheel tub inside the trunk, along the right door jamb and between the carpet and heater then tight on the top of the trans tunnel i drilled a hole and put in a grommet, comes right out by the starter. Also i moved my starter relay to the fire wall so the batt, alt and fuse box meet there on that stud.

runs at 14.1 volts with the fan and fuel pump on.

took me a while before i decided on what to do but after a few days and few six packs this is what i decided.

BTW , I have a 60 amp Denso alt

I used a body plug in the trunk floor . Drilled a hole next to the inside of the frame rail . And ran the wire next to the frame rail all the way to the front and then over bellhousing to the starter .

My box is mounted on the drivers side with a cutoff switch on the frame rail.From there I used clamps along the inside frame rail and sub-frame connectors to the front cross-member. Drilled a hole and sleeved the 1/0 up to the engine bay. I plan to move the switch to inside the trunk this summer.

vbpgimage.php

vbpgimage.php

vbpgimage.php

To prevent voltage drops you should have a separate negative cable run all the way to the engine block. All other grounds should connect to this same stud. Voltage drops results in poor ignition box performance as well as other electronics. Also if you have a battery disconnect install it on the positive side.

allways run the cable inside the vehicle under the carpet or where its best. use rubber grommets through any metal you need to go through. running the cable under the car is asking for trouble unless of course it is never street driven. just my opinion

my battery box is in the trunk on the passenger side. i was thinking about running the cable inside the car where the factory ran the rear tail light harness. then into the sill plate wire tracks all the way up to the kick panel area. this is where i run into the problem. i cant decide how to go from the kick panel area and into the engine bay. i want to keep it clean and as hidden as possible while not intruding to much into the passenger compartment.

my battery box is in the trunk on the passenger side. i was thinking about running the cable inside the car where the factory ran the rear tail light harness. then into the sill plate wire tracks all the way up to the kick panel area. this is where i run into the problem. i cant decide how to go from the kick panel area and into the engine bay. i want to keep it clean and as hidden as possible while not intruding to much into the passenger compartment.

thats what i did, I used a grommet through an existing hole that was a few inches below the master cylinder. not very well hidden though. -pauly

Attachments

• autofest 010_1.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 754
mine is completely inside the car until it exits the firewall. i would never run my hot under the car. but thats just me

Mine is routed inside under the carpet along the tunnel. Ran the neg through the firewall and grounded to a trans bellhousing bolt near the top. The pos is low on the drivers side and is not noticeable.

My car would not pass race tech as i have not installed a battery cut off switch which has to be accessable from outside the car.

In the 69 Cuda I ran mine inside the car all the way (both + -). Run the cables under the scuff plates so all wires are hidden and safe. At the Fire Wall I used an unused oval gromet near the brake pedal and drilled 2 holes just a bit smaller than the actual cable (one for + and other for -) so it is a firm fit and is still water tight. Positive cable to Starter - of course and negative to the transmission. After that make sure you put some earth straps from the body to the block and I also ran an extra one from the battery to the body.
DSCF5449.jpg

If you plan on running a battery diconnect in the trunk, don't forget you need to switch the feed for the alternator as well. If not when you disconnect the battery possitive the car will continue to run on from the alternator. It can be done with a relay or a second wire off the disconnect for the alt. feed.
I also ran mine through the interior. The starter leed on the drivers side and the alt. feed on the pass. side. Good luck
Larry

Attachments

• Dart Exhaust 043.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 789
  • Dart Exhaust 044.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 652
-
Back