Battery Lug Terminals

-

mopowers

Reaction score
For those of you who make your own battery cables, what ends do you use to terminate the cable on the battery end and connect it to the battery? I'm trying to find a clean, reliable battery lug end for some cables I'm making and looking for some ideas. Thanks guys.

For those of you who make your own battery cables, what ends do you use to terminate the cable on the battery end and connect it to the battery? I'm trying to find a clean, reliable battery lug end for some cables I'm making and looking for some ideas. Thanks guys.
ANy copper lugs should be good. Soldered in of course.

I have always use this type, easy to solder on cable and looks great

1698875295572.png

Good luck finding non-acid solder, or even leaded solder. If you can't find anything else, look for some with NO flux internally and use added flux. You can get by with no-lead with some extra flux added. DO NOT use acid flux or acid fluxed solder.

Find some good Rosin based flux. I see SRO is advertised on egag in small containers.

This one on the Barracuda the Wife just got is the best, " repair " lug available. Set screw hidden underneath. Other than that, some melted lead poured into an aftermarket fitting is best...
1967formulasbaracudacleanup1 046.jpg

Good luck finding non-acid solder, or even leaded solder. If you can't find anything else, look for some with NO flux internally and use added flux. You can get by with no-lead with some extra flux added. DO NOT use acid flux or acid fluxed solder.

Find some good Rosin based flux. I see SRO is advertised on egag in small containers.
This is what I use:
Amazon product ASIN B0049RNTW6

Thanks guys! Lots of great ideas here. If you intend to add a smaller conductor for say the starter relay, or an added radiator core support ground. Do you guys just use the next size lug up ? Or is there a rule of thumb to add say a 8 awg cable to a 2 ga battery terminal?

ANy copper lugs should be good. Soldered in of course.
The only copper lugs I'm finding are the eyelet type. Do they make tradition-style copper battery lugs that'll attach to a regular battery post? Or do you use something like this:

1698889207138.png

1698888797278.png

I haven't driven the car yet but I was more than happy with all of the stuff I ordered to make my battery cables from this site.

[/URL]
Thank you. Do you crimp those, or solder them?

I have always use this type, easy to solder on cable and looks great

View attachment 1716161121
Those look solid? Where do you pick those up?

This one on the Barracuda the Wife just got is the best, " repair " lug available. Set screw hidden underneath. Other than that, some melted lead poured into an aftermarket fitting is best...
View attachment 1716161138
Those do look good. Where do you get the lead?

I use copper or the brass terminals. I have a hydraulic crimper that does an amazing job.
They also sell terminals that are pre loaded with solder and flux.

The only problem with the above terminals is there is no provision to attach wires that need + voltage all the time such as computer for fuel injection or even alternator feed. I use the one with the plate being held by 2 screws and put my all the full time need + feed wires under the screws with terminals on the end of that wire.

Thanks guys! Lots of great ideas here. If you intend to add a smaller conductor for say the starter relay, or an added radiator core support ground. Do you guys just use the next size lug up ? Or is there a rule of thumb to add say a 8 awg cable to a 2 ga battery terminal?

The only copper lugs I'm finding are the eyelet type. Do they make tradition-style copper battery lugs that'll attach to a regular battery post? Or do you use something like this:

View attachment 1716161179

View attachment 1716161176

Thank you. Do you crimp those, or solder them?

Those look solid? Where do you pick those up?

Those do look good. Where do you get the lead?

You solder them. It's pretty easy to do with a basic harbor freight butane torch but if I remember right, I may have had to use a more legit propane torch because I believe my smaller hand held one may not have been powerful enough for that size connector.

If you've ever soldered an all metal connector with a torch, you'll notice that the connector will all the sudden change colors to a more matte like finish. When this happens, the connector is hot enough to solder.

I wound up buying their little solder pellets but you can also just cut some solder up and get the same effect.

First tin your wires.

Then place the connector in a vice and fill the cup up part way with solder. I can't remember if I had it filled up halfway or what. Either add some flux or use flux core solder. Their pellets are flux core. Heat up the connector until the solder melts in the cup and the connector starts to change to a matte finish. Then dip your wire in and hold it there until it cools enough for the solder to stick.

I had the main battery wire in there as well as the smaller starter relay wire. That site sells good quality heat shrink with the glue type sealant inside that I was more than happy with after shrinking it on. The quality of the heat shrink I used from that site vs the stuff I've gotten from Amazon was like the difference in banging a prime Cindy Crawford vs Rosie O'Donnell.

You solder them. It's pretty easy to do with a basic harbor freight butane torch but if I remember right, I may have had to use a more legit propane torch because I believe my smaller hand held one may not have been powerful enough for that size connector.

If you've ever soldered an all metal connector with a torch, you'll notice that the connector will all the sudden change colors to a more matte like finish. When this happens, the connector is hot enough to solder.

I wound up buying their little solder pellets but you can also just cut some solder up and get the same effect.

First tin your wires.

Then place the connector in a vice and fill the cup up part way with solder. I can't remember if I had it filled up halfway or what. Either add some flux or use flux core solder. Their pellets are flux core. Heat up the connector until the solder melts in the cup and the connector starts to change to a matte finish. Then dip your wire in and hold it there until it cools enough for the solder to stick.

I had the main battery wire in there as well as the smaller starter relay wire. That site sells good quality heat shrink with the glue type sealant inside that I was more than happy with after shrinking it on. The quality of the heat shrink I used from that site vs the stuff I've gotten from Amazon was like the difference in banging a prime Cindy Crawford vs Rosie O'Donnell.
Thank you sir. I appreciate it! Have you ever had any luck adding an auxiliary lead like the factory positive cables? Would you just get the next size up in that case and twist the two together before soldering?

By the way, that last line in your reply was classic. Thanks for the laugh. :rofl:

Thank you sir. I appreciate it! Have you ever had any luck adding an auxiliary lead like the factory positive cables? Would you just get the next size up in that case and twist the two together before soldering?

By the way, that last line in your reply was classic. Thanks for the laugh. :rofl:

Yeah I don't remember if I twisted them together or just stuck them in side by side but I placed the 8ga wire in with the 4 gauge. Here's a copy and paste of my order from a couple years ago. It probably has a few extras in there but I basically used some stuff that I already had and then the stuff I bought from them in order to copy the factory cables.

Order Summary​

QTY
PRICE​
d=3f5dec5d-2b9b-b1e6-1cbb-11000301ef00&sig=ROD0tw1.jpg
4 Gauge AWG Extreme Battery Cable Red - By the Foot
Product ID: S4RD
4​
$1.98​
sets%2Fimages%2Fthumbnails%2Fs4bkcollage_thumbnail.jpg
4 Gauge AWG Extreme Battery Cable Black - By the Foot
Product ID: S4BK
4​
$1.98​
s%2Fimages%2Fthumbnails%2Flugs_group_pic_thumbnail.jpg
Battery Cable Ends, Lugs, Ring Terminals, Connectors, Tin Plated Pure Copper
Wire AWG Gauge Size: 4 Gauge AWG
Hole Size: 3/8 inch (M10)

Product ID: LUG-4-38
1​
$0.76​
Hole Size: 1/2 inch (M13)

Product ID: LUG-4-12
1​
$1.06​
erycablesusa.com%2Fassets%2Fimages%2Ful-flex-black.jpg
Battery Cable Flexible OFC Copper UL MTW/THW/SGT SAE J1127 - By the Foot
Wire Gauge Size: 8 Gauge (8 AWG)
Color: Black

Product ID: UL-8BK
4​
$0.74​
tterycablesusa.com%2Fassets%2Fimages%2Ful-flex-red.jpg
Battery Cable Flexible OFC Copper UL MTW/THW/SGT SAE J1127 - By the Foot
Color: Red

Product ID: UL-8RD
2​
$0.74​
Fimages%2Fthumbnails%2Ftop-post-straight_thumbnail.jpg
Straight Top Post Battery Terminals
Wire AWG Gauge Size: 1-2 Gauge AWG
Positive or Negative: Positive

Product ID: TOP-1-2-POS
1​
$4.84​

Product ID: TOP-4-POS
1​
$4.52​
Positive or Negative: Negative

Product ID: TOP-4-NEG
1​
$4.52​
Wire AWG Gauge Size: 8 Gauge AWG
Hole Size: 5/16 inch (M8)

Product ID: LUG-8-56
2​
$0.54​

Product ID: LUG-8-38
1​
$0.54​
Hole Size: 1/4 inch (M6)

Product ID: LUG-8-14
1​
$0.54​
b9b-b1e6-1cbb-11000301ef00&sig=EeOzY6rxWeCj438Ch.M.jpg
Heavy Wall 3M ITCSN Heat Shrink Tubing Adhesive Glue Lined Tubes 1 Foot Lengths
Size: 0.40 inch diam

Product ID: ITCSN-0400-RD
1​
$3.19​

Product ID: ITCSN-0400-BK
1​
$3.19​
Size: 0.80 inch diam

Product ID: ITCSN-0800-RD
1​
$3.38​

Product ID: ITCSN-0800-BK
1​
$3.38​
Fassets%2Fimages%2Fthumbnails%2FIMG_0278_thumbnail.jpg
Solder Slug Pellets - Flux Core
Select Solder Pellet to Fit...: 4 AWG Lugs / Top Post Terminals

Product ID: CL-4
3​
$0.48​
2Fassets%2Fimages%2Fthumbnails%2FCL-FLUX_thumbnail.jpg
CL-Flux (Kester 979)
Product ID: CL-FLUX
1​
$3.96​
2Fimages%2Fboots%2Fthumbnails%2F222E3-PR_thumbnail.jpg
Lug & Ring Terminal Boot Covers Medium 1/0 , 1, 2, 4 or 6 awg
Single or Pair: Red Single Boot

Product ID: 222E3V02
1​
$1.99​
2Fimages%2Fboots%2Fthumbnails%2F212N2-PR_thumbnail.jpg
Lug & Ring Terminal Boot Covers Small 10 awg 8 awg
Single or Pair: Pair (Black & Red)

Product ID: 212N2-PR
2​
$1.39​
Subtotal:​
$61.45​
Discount:​
$0.00​
Shipping:​
$3.97​
Sales Tax:​
$0.00​
Total:​
$65.42​

Just insert them side by side. Use your head. There are charts, but there is a bit of "cheat" room on cable size If you are soldering, it doesn't matter that much

I dislike using eyelets then connected to a bolt on a clamp. You've just added 1 more connection for drop and trouble. Also, if you have some scrap copper tube, you can easily make your own eye ends Just hammer the end shut, drill hole, round off corners, and cut it off the stock.

Bolt on clamps are garbage. If you have a ton of extra power requirements you can get a dual pole battery or use a distribution box.

Yeah I don't remember if I twisted them together or just stuck them in side by side but I placed the 8ga wire in with the 4 gauge. Here's a copy and paste of my order from a couple years ago. It probably has a few extras in there but I basically used some stuff that I already had and then the stuff I bought from them in order to copy the factory cables.

Order Summary​

QTY
PRICE​

View attachment 1716161773
4 Gauge AWG Extreme Battery Cable Red - By the Foot
Product ID: S4RD
4​
$1.98​
View attachment 17161617744 Gauge AWG Extreme Battery Cable Black - By the Foot
Product ID: S4BK
4​
$1.98​
View attachment 1716161775Battery Cable Ends, Lugs, Ring Terminals, Connectors, Tin Plated Pure Copper

Product ID: LUG-4-38
1​
$0.76​
View attachment 1716161776Battery Cable Ends, Lugs, Ring Terminals, Connectors, Tin Plated Pure Copper
Hole Size: 1/2 inch (M13)

Product ID: LUG-4-12
1​
$1.06​
View attachment 1716161777Battery Cable Flexible OFC Copper UL MTW/THW/SGT SAE J1127 - By the Foot

Product ID: UL-8BK
4​
$0.74​
View attachment 1716161778Battery Cable Flexible OFC Copper UL MTW/THW/SGT SAE J1127 - By the Foot

Product ID: UL-8RD
2​
$0.74​
View attachment 1716161779Straight Top Post Battery Terminals
Wire AWG Gauge Size: 1-2 Gauge AWG

Product ID: TOP-1-2-POS
1​
$4.84​
View attachment 1716161780Straight Top Post Battery Terminals

Product ID: TOP-4-POS
1​
$4.52​
View attachment 1716161781Straight Top Post Battery Terminals
Positive or Negative: Negative

Product ID: TOP-4-NEG
1​
$4.52​
View attachment 1716161782Battery Cable Ends, Lugs, Ring Terminals, Connectors, Tin Plated Pure Copper
Hole Size: 5/16 inch (M8)

Product ID: LUG-8-56
2​
$0.54​
View attachment 1716161783Battery Cable Ends, Lugs, Ring Terminals, Connectors, Tin Plated Pure Copper

Product ID: LUG-8-38
1​
$0.54​
View attachment 1716161784Battery Cable Ends, Lugs, Ring Terminals, Connectors, Tin Plated Pure Copper
Hole Size: 1/4 inch (M6)

Product ID: LUG-8-14
1​
$0.54​
View attachment 1716161785Heavy Wall 3M ITCSN Heat Shrink Tubing Adhesive Glue Lined Tubes 1 Foot Lengths

Product ID: ITCSN-0400-RD
1​
$3.19​
View attachment 1716161786Heavy Wall 3M ITCSN Heat Shrink Tubing Adhesive Glue Lined Tubes 1 Foot Lengths

Product ID: ITCSN-0400-BK
1​
$3.19​
View attachment 1716161787Heavy Wall 3M ITCSN Heat Shrink Tubing Adhesive Glue Lined Tubes 1 Foot Lengths

Product ID: ITCSN-0800-RD
1​
$3.38​
View attachment 1716161788Heavy Wall 3M ITCSN Heat Shrink Tubing Adhesive Glue Lined Tubes 1 Foot Lengths

Product ID: ITCSN-0800-BK
1​
$3.38​
View attachment 1716161789Solder Slug Pellets - Flux Core
Select Solder Pellet to Fit...: 4 AWG Lugs / Top Post Terminals

Product ID: CL-4
3​
$0.48​
View attachment 1716161790CL-Flux (Kester 979)
Product ID: CL-FLUX
1​
$3.96​
View attachment 1716161791Lug & Ring Terminal Boot Covers Medium 1/0 , 1, 2, 4 or 6 awg
Single or Pair: Red Single Boot

Product ID: 222E3V02
1​
$1.99​
View attachment 1716161792Lug & Ring Terminal Boot Covers Small 10 awg 8 awg
Single or Pair: Pair (Black & Red)

Product ID: 212N2-PR
2​
$1.39​
Subtotal:​
$61.45​
Discount:​
$0.00​
Shipping:​
$3.97​
Sales Tax:​
$0.00​
Total:​
$65.42​

You might look here, they make tin covered copper lugs.

CrimpSupply.com | In Stock and Available to Ship Today
Thanks for the resources guys! I've got a good idea on which direction to go now. I appreciate it.

One more thing to keep in mind.....the positive and negative terminals are a different size. The better quality terminals will be specific and not one size fits both. Makes a much better clamp.

-
Back